Plato Timaeus (off topic)

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 17:04:06 EDT

Cyrus Gordon, in Before Columbus (Crown, 1970, page108) says that Plato
in Timaeus makes reference to a continent that seals off the Ocean to
the west (America). Gordon does not give a reference in Timaeus so I am
having difficulty finding it. I tried looking up HPEIROS in LSJ to see
if there was a citation in Timaeus. This didn't produce anything.

Anyone have an idea what this reference might be?

I will go play with Persus and see what I find but I don't have much to
go on.

Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point
P.O. Box 255 Seahurst WA 98062