Re: Plato Timaeus (off topic)

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (
Date: Sun Aug 15 1999 - 17:25:18 EDT

In Loeb edition of Plato it is 24e (page 41)

At 02:20 PM 08/15/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>>From: "clayton stirling bartholomew" <>
>>To: Biblical Greek <>
>>Subject: Plato Timaeus (off topic)
>>Date: Sun, Aug 15, 1999, 2:04 PM
>> Cyrus Gordon, in Before Columbus (Crown, 1970, page108) says that Plato
>> in Timaeus makes reference to a continent that seals off the Ocean to
>> the west (America). Gordon does not give a reference in Timaeus so I am
>> having difficulty finding it. I tried looking up HPEIROS in LSJ to see
>> if there was a citation in Timaeus. This didn't produce anything.
>> Anyone have an idea what this reference might be?
>> I will go play with Persus and see what I find but I don't have much to
>> go on.
>> Thanks,
>> Clay
>OK, It looks like I found it (Whew!) Timaeus 24e-25a.
>it was possible for the travellers of that time to cross from it to the
>other islands, and from the islands to the whole of the continent [25a]
>over against them which encompasses that veritable ocean.
>Any theories on what Plato is talking about here? Not Atlantis, but this
>other continent?
>B-Greek home page:
>You are currently subscribed to b-greek as:
>To unsubscribe, forward this message to
>To subscribe, send a message to
Kevin W. Woodruff, M.Div.
Library Director/Reference Librarian
Professor of New Testament Greek
Cierpke Memorial Library
1815 Union Ave.
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37404
United States of America
423/493-4252 (office)
423/698-9447 (home)
423/493-4497 (FAX) (preferred) (alternate)