re: Abbott-Smith's Lexicon

From: Garland H Shinn (
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 14:03:20 EDT

I "fell in love" with Abbott-Smith's Manual Greek Lexicon as a student back
in the early 70's, and heartily agree that it is the best short lexicon
available. I also have Souter's and Green's short lexicons, and they do not
hold a candle to Abbott-Smith, in my opinion.

I regularly recommend Abbott-Smith to my Greek students for its ease of use
and relative completeness, but I also would welcome an up-dated version
reflecting more modern scholarship.

Garland Shinn
Professor of Biblical Languages
Southern California Bible College & Seminary