From: Maurice A. O'Sullivan (
Date: Fri Sep 17 1999 - 15:56:09 EDT

<x-flowed>At 15:42 17/09/99 -0400, you wrote:
>KANWN is used in Gal. 6:16 and 2 Cor. 10:13,15,16.
>In Gal. 6:16 it is referring to the 'rule' of a new creation. In 2 Cor.
>it is
>referring to a region where Paul wishes to preach the gospel.
>Can someone tell me whether it refers to a region of authority or
>influence in
>the sense of governmental region? Somewhat like the U.S. county or parish (I
>think Alabama uses 'parish'). Or is it more tuned to a cultural region, like
>the French district of New Orleans or China Town, only bigger?
>In short, is the connotation one of government or culture?
>Right now I'm leaning toward a meaning similar to the English phrase 'sphere
>of authority or influence.'
>Thanks ahead of time.
>Mike Sangrey
>Lancaster, Pa.
> There is no 'do' in faith, everywhere present within it is 'done'.
> And faith should commend itself from within every 'do'.

Louw & Nida list KANWN under two domains:

Law, Regulation, Ordinance

They are, however, in no doubt, as to which categorry the Gal. usage falls:

33.335 KANWN -ONOS m : a rule involving a standard for conduct - `rule,
principle.' ....................... `as many as follow this rule' Ga 6.16.

Maurice A. O'Sullivan
[Bray, Ireland]

[ subscribed to MSN Messenger ]

"Apply yourself wholly to the text; apply the text wholly to yourself."
- Johann Albrecht Bengel