Re: Mt 3:2, 4:17

From: Ben Crick (
Date: Mon Nov 29 1999 - 20:08:17 EST

On Mon 29 Nov 1999 (15:16:37), wrote:
> [snippage] ... ... I wonder if what
> you meant was to refer to the avoidance of using the divine name
> through a reverential circumlocution? But I don't think that BASILEIA
> TWN OURANWN can strictly speaking be called a circumlocution, since
> Matthew was not trying to avoid using the Greek term QEOS. After all,
> Matthew uses the term QEOS some 51 times. In fact, Matthew even uses the
> phrase BASILEIA TOU QEOU (at 12:28; 19:24; 21:34,43). Rather, what I think
> we have here (with BASILEIA TWN OURANWN) is simply a translation of a
> semitic circumlocution, which simply functions as a synonym to BASILEIA
> TOU QEOU. What do you think?

 Dear Steven,

 I agree with you entirely. Sorry I didn't use more accurate terminology,
 writing off the top of my head. Thanks for tidying me up.

 I don't think 'Matthew' had a hang-up over using QEOS, as you point out.
 IMHO John Baptist used this circumlocution in 3:2, and Jesus echoed it
 in 4:17. A sort of Synechdoche: the container (heaven) for the contents

 Revd Ben Crick, BA CF