Mounce's first year grammar

From: Michael Burer (burer@geocities.com)
Date: Tue Nov 30 1999 - 15:58:32 EST

<x-html><!x-stuff-for-pete base="" src="" id="0"><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN">
<HTML><HEAD>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Two list members, Jonathan and Carl, have recently made
disparaging comments regarding the Exegetical Insights which Mounce includes at
the front of most every chapter.&nbsp;I believe this deserves a response. It is
very important to understand that these short vignettes serve a didactic
purpose. Mounce's textbook is one of the few I have seen which has a clearly
stated purpose and goal to help budding pastors, ministers, and exegetes learn
the Greek of the New Testament (see the Rationale Statement, pp. xiii-xviii, and
Chapter 2 "Learning Greek", p. 3-6). The Exegetical Insights obviously fit
within that purpose, for they show the student that&nbsp;Greek pays dividends in
understanding. It is also important to understand that he only wrote a few of
them, so it is not accurate to infer that he is behind them all; other
contributors include his father Robert Mounce, Daniel Wallace, Darrell Bock, I.
Howard Marshall, Craig Keener, etc. I think it is an excellent feature&nbsp;to
have such a variety of scholars contribute to these vignettes.&nbsp;Of course
you may say that they are "irritating" or "distracting" because you do not agree
with the overall theological stance&nbsp;Mounce has taken, but I may also say
they are encouraging and helpful because I do agree with his stance and that
helps me stay dedicated to the task of learning Greek. At the very least, the
Exegetical Insights show Greek in action, and whether you agree or not with the
resultant interpretation,&nbsp;seeing Greek in action is a helpful aspect of any
grammar.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Best regards to all,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Michael Burer</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Ph.D. Student</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2>Dallas Theological Seminary</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

</x-html>