Re: importance of audio/oral

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@www.plantnet.com)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 08:06:44 EST

<x-flowed>To: Randy Buth,

Okay, but to my knowledge there are no audio tapes which teach a Koine
accent, but we do have a large number of audio tapes by Stephen Daitz.
Wouldn't make sense for students of Koine to learn Koine with an Attic
accent as taught by Allen, the JACT & Daitz?

I've become convinced that I need to learn to speak ancient Greek. To that
end I'm working though North & Hillard's "Greek Prose Composition." I also
think I need to hear ancient Greek spoken. Unfortunately, I was taught an
Erasmian pronunciation (at least an American variation). I don't have any
audio tapes with an Erasmian pronunciation either. If anyone knows of any
(whether of the NT, or some other Greek work) I would be very interested in
learning about them.

I figure that I have two choices, either I can make my own tapes and keep
my Americanized Erasmian pronunciation (why switch to Koine?) or I can
switch to the pronunciation as taught by Allen, the JACT & Daitz?

But having read a number of your message on this subject, what I can't
figure is why you don't jump on the Allen/JACT/Daitz bandwagon yourself?
Why do you think that learning specifically the Koine accent of any
importance? If your goal is fluency in ancient Greek, it really shouldn't
matter if one reads the NT with an Attic accent, yes? Why try to compete
with Stephen Daitz?

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@www.plantnet.com
FWIW: I'm neither a clergy-person, nor an academic (and I have no post-grad
degrees).