Re: Mark 7:2 TOUS ARTOUS

From: Joe A. Friberg (
Date: Thu May 18 2000 - 01:49:03 EDT

On the subject of thematic coherence/motif of the 'bread' in this
section of Mk, if I recall, this starts w/ the feeding of the 5000, runs
through the section we've been discussing, crops up in the Syrophoenician
woman's meeting with Jesus (7.28-29), runs through the feeding of hte 4000,
and carries through to the warning against 'leaven of hte Pharisees and
Herod' (8.15). I may have missed some points in between.

You are right about what this implies for preaching in this section! What
might seem to be a dry technical observation actually serves to develop and
reinforce the themes of a number of pericopes through the interplay of this

God Bless!
Joe F.