[b-greek] Re: Smart's rule and John 20:28

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Mon Oct 23 2000 - 10:28:17 EDT

Murray Harris comments on this passage:

On the first view each half of of Thomas's affirmation is directed to a
different addressee:HO KURIOS MOU to Jesus; HO THEOS MOU to the the Father,
either as indwelling Jesus or as dwelling in Heaven. This decidedly aberrant
interpretation is rendered inplausible by the presence of KAI by the absence
of a distinguishing vocative (IHSOU or PATER), and by the frequent
conjunction of KURIOS and THEOS in various combinations in the LXX in
reference to one person. In addition, the immediate context contains
numerous reference to Jesus but none to the Father, so that a sudden
apostrophe ishighly improbalbe, espeicailly since the whole statement is
introduced by EIPEN AUTW. Finally the repeated MOU, so far from neceaarily
indicating two distinct addressees, simply reflects the repetition of the
pronomial suffix with copulated nouns in Hebrew and Aramaici (as shown in
the LXX's Ps 5:3 by HO BASILEUSD MOU MAI HO THEOS MOU) and has the effect of
personalizing Thomas's response
(Harris, Murray J. _Jesus as God_ Grand Rapids: Baker, 1992, page 106-107)

Kevin