[b-greek] 2 Peter 1:3-4

From: SPAWN OF A JEWISH CARPENTER: CINDY SMITH (cms@dragon.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:52:47 EDT

2 Peter 1:3-4 is translated by the NAB: "His divine power has
bestowed on us everything that makes for life and devotion, through
the knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and power.
Through these, he has bestowed on us the precious and very great
promises, so that through them you may come to share in the divine
nature, after escaping from the corruption that is in the world
because of evil desire."

Does DI WN refer to "glory and power" or "knowledge"? In other words,
do we come to share in the divine nature because of our knowledge of
God or because of the glory and power of God? The NAB note on this
verse says, "To share in the divine nature, escaping from a corrupt
world, is a thought found elsewhere in the Bible but expressed only
here in such Hellenistic terms, since it is said to be accomplished
through knowledge."

Thanks.

Cindy Smith I have further observed under the sun that
cms@dragon.com The race is not won by the swift,
cms@5sc.net Nor the battle by the valiant;
cms@romancatholic.org Nor is bread won by the wise,
                        Nor wealth by the intelligent,
Me transmitte sursum, Nor favor by the learned.
        Caledoni! -- JPS Ecclesiastes 9:11