[b-greek] Re: Comparing ALLOS and hETEROS

From: Iver Larsen (iver_larsen@sil.org)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 15:26:52 EDT

Tony Costa wrote:

> You make a good point with Gal 1:6-7 in regards to the comparison of ALLOS
> and hETEROS. I also call your attention to 2 Cor 11:4 where Paul speaks of
> ALLON IHSOUN, PNEUMA hETERON and EUAGGELION hETERON. The AV or KJV
> translates ALLOS and hETEROS in this passage as simply "another".

NRSV translates ALLON with "another" and hETERON with "different". Why KJV did
not make the distinction I don't know.

> If ALLOS
> can mean "one of the same kind", and hETEROS can mean "one of a different
> kind". how does this relate to the passage in 1Cor 11:4? Just thinking.

May I suggest two points which are not entirely new:

1) Since hETEROS only occurs once in John's Gospel and never in John's letters
or Revelation, whereas ALLOS is frequent in John's writings, it looks like John
does not maintain the classical distinction between ALLOS and hETEROS. He is
using ALLOS whether it is same or different kind. On the other hand, it appears
that both Luke and Paul have maintained the distinction since they use both
frequently.

2) hETEROS seems to focus on the aspect of differentness (I lack a proper
English word here). I expect the antonym of hETEROS to be hOMOIOS, well known
from two common English words that are not decent enough to be mentioned
here. -:)
However, it seems doubtful that ALLOS in the same way focuses on sameness. Is it
not more just an additional one, whether same or different? In a series where
sameness or difference is not in focus, I would expect ALLOS. The context may
imply a difference in quality, but this aspect would be carried more by the
other words in the text than by ALLOS in itself.

Looking at Gal 1:6-7 and 2 Cor 11:4, I don't find it strange that Paul is
talking about an additional Jesus (ALLON IHSOUN). Since there is only one Jesus
and only one name which brings salvation, no one can preach an additional Jesus.
However, there are many kinds of spirits and many people who preach their
different "gospels". Those who preach an additional Jesus are doing it on the
basis of a different kind of spirit - PNEUMA hETERON - than the Holy Spirit.
And it would be a different gospel - EUAGGELION hETERON - which indeed is no
gospel, because there is only one gospel. No ALLON EUAGGELION is possible. Any
additional gospel is also a different "gospel" - which is not a true gospel.

I am tempted to comment on why ALLON precedes IHSOUN whereas the two hETERONs
follow their nouns in 2 Cor 11:4 and why hETERON precedes EUAGGELION in Gal 1:6.
But I'll refrain. I hope it is fairly obvious.

Iver Larsen