Return to Naval History and Heritage Command home page. Return to Online
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060
Online Library of Selected Images:
-- EVENTS --
The Events section of the Online Library provides
access to pictures related to a variety of 19th and 20th Century
occurrences. This section, presently rather brief, will gradually
expand to provide broad coverage of events and activities that
have had an impact on the U.S. Navy's history.
This page lists all events for which pictorial presentations
are currently available through the Online Library.
If the event you want is not listed on this page, contact the
concerning other research options.
Events are listed below in chronological order. Scan down
the list until you find the event you want, then click its entry
to access appropriate image presentation pages.
- The War with Tripoli, 1801-1805:
- The War of 1812, 1812-1815:
- The American Civil War, 1861-1865:
- Miscellaneous Events of the 1860s:
- Events of the 1880s:
- Spanish-American War, 1898
- Events of the early 20th Century:
- Northern European Cruise by USS Kearsarge and other ships of the U.S. European Squadron, June-July 1903
- Boiler Explosion on
USS Bennington, 21 July 1905
- World Cruise of the "Great White Fleet", December 1907 - February 1909
- Earthquake at Messina, Sicily, 28 December 1908
- Eugene Ely's Flight
from USS Birmingham, 14 November 1910 (the first airplane
takeoff from a warship)
- Eugene Ely's Flight
to USS Pennsylvania, 18 January 1911 (the first airplane
landing on a warship)
- USS Nero Alaska Radio Expedition, May-November 1912
- USS Ajax transports
Submarines B-2 and B-3 to the Philippines, December
1912 - May 1913
- Loss of USS Memphis,
29 August 1916
- Stranding of USS H-3
and USS Milwaukee, and salvage of USS H-3, December
1916 - April 1917
- Influenza Epidemic
- President Wilson's
European voyages on USS George Washington, December 1918
- July 1919
- Stranding, Recovery
and Repair of USS Northern Pacific, January-May 1919
- USS Graf Waldersee
damaged in collision with S.S. Redondo, 11 June 1919
- The First World War, 1914-1918:
- Events of the 1920s:
- World War II in the Atlantic and Europe, 1939-1945:
- World War II in the Pacific, 1941-1945:
- World War II Diplomacy, 1939-1945:
- Korean War, 1950-1953
- Events of the 1960s:
- Events of the 1970s:
- Other Events will be added as the
Online Library is developed.
NOTES:To the best of our knowledge, the pictures referenced here
are all in the Public Domain, and can therefore be freely downloaded
and used for any purpose.
Some images linked from this page may bear obsolete credit lines
citing the organization name: "Naval Historical Center".
Effective 1 December 2008 the name should be cited as: "Naval
History and Heritage Command".
Return to Naval History and Heritage Command home page.
Page made 4 December 2002
Coding updated 16 April 2009