Photo #: NH 43641
Solferino (French Battleship, 1861-1884)
Photographed by Rideau, 38 Quai de Caligny, Cherbourg.
The ship is probably in Cherbourg's Napoleon III Basin, looking southeast toward the shiphouses in the Naval Harbor, circa 1863-1864.
Solferino was at Cherbourg from 17 April to 27 September 1863 and again from 25 November 1863 into 1864, during which time she was rerigged from a barquentine (as seen here) to a barque.
This ship was one of only two broadside ironclad battleships with two gun decks. The other was her sister, Magenta.
The original print is mounted on a Carte de Visite.
Collection of Captain Robert F. Bradford, USN, 1941.
U.S. Naval History and Heritage Command Photograph.
Online Image: 112 KB; 900 x 590 pixels
Image posted 14 January 2011