Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing
USRC Windom, a 670-ton cruising cutter, was built at Dubuque, Iowa, and Baltimore, Maryland. She was commissioned in June 1896 and performed her initial service off the mid-Atlantic states. During the Spanish-American War, Windom operated actively off Cuba. Post-war, she was assigned to the Chesapeake Bay area until 1906, when her duty station became Galveston, Texas. In December 1915 her name was changed to Comanche. The cutter was decommissioned in July 1930 and sold the following November.
This page features an 1898 view of USRC Windom.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: 19-N-19-21-12
USRC Windom (1896-1930)
In drydock at the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia, 9 April 1898.
Photograph from the Bureau of Ships Collection in the U.S. National Archives.
Online Image: 51,232 bytes; 740 x 580 pixels
Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system.
Return to Naval Historical Center home page.
17 October 1998