Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing
USS Abarenda, a 6680-ton collier, was built for commercial use in 1892 at Newcastle, England. Acquired by the Navy for Spanish-American War service, she was commissioned in May 1898 and transported coal and supplies to warships serving off Cuba.
For nearly three decades after 1898, Abarenda supported Navy operations World-wide as a collier, supply ship and, occasionally, as a station ship. She was designated AC-13 in 1920 and AG-14 in 1924. Abarenda was decommissioned in January 1926 and sold the following month.
This page features a selected view of USS Abarenda.
If higher resolution reproductions than these digital images are desired, see "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.
Photo #: 111-SC-5881
USS Abarenda (1898-1926)
At the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, New York, May 1898, while being fitted for war service.
Photograph from the Army Signal Corps Collection in the U.S. National Archives.
Online Image: 71,103 bytes; 740 x 580 pixels
Reproductions of this image may also be available through the National Archives photographic reproduction system.
Return to Naval Historical Center home page.
1 October 1998