Return to Naval Historical Center home page. Return to Online Library listing

WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Online Library of Selected Images:

USS Ammonoosuc (1868-1883). Later renamed Iowa

USS Ammonoosuc, a 3850-ton steam frigate, was built at the Boston Navy Yard, Massachusetts, as part of a Civil War program of large, very fast, steam cruisers. Launched in July 1864, her completion was delayed when the war ended. After installation of her engines at New York, she ran trials in June 1868, attaining the then-extraordinary speed of over 17 knots. After trials, Ammonoosuc was laid up at Boston. Renamed Iowa in May 1869, she saw no active service and was finally sold in September 1883.

This page features views relating to this ship.

If you want higher resolution reproductions than the Online Library's digital images, see: "How to Obtain Photographic Reproductions."

Click on the small photograph to prompt a larger view of the same image.

Photo #: NH 57271-KN (Color)

"Ammonoosuc and Neshaminy Class"

Colored lithograph, after a drawing by Captain Melancthon B. Woolsey, USN, published by the Major & Knapp Eng. Mfg. & Lith. Co., 71 Broadway, New York, circa the later 1860s.
It depicts the fast cruisers USS Ammonoosuc (1868-1883) and Neshaminy (1865-1874). The same print has also been used to depict the never-launched USS Connecticut, ex-Pompanoosuc.
The original print's mount bears the notation: "From Boynton's History of the U.S. Navy".

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 86KB; 740 x 485 pixels


Photo #: NH 57982

Boston Navy Yard, Massachusetts

View of the waterfront, about 1870. Ships laid up and housed over, on the right, are USS Iowa, ex-Ammonoosuc (1868-1883), inboard, and USS Niagara (1857-1885).
On the stocks in left center, with sterns visible between and beyond the two shiphouses, are USS Connecticut, ex-Pompanoosuc, and USS Pennsylvania, ex-Kewaydin.
The receiving ship USS Ohio (1838-1883) is in the middle distance.

Donation of Captain Yancy S. Williams, USN, 1928.

U.S. Naval Historical Center Photograph.

Online Image: 78KB; 740 x 460 pixels


Return to Naval Historical Center home page.

22 December 1998