- *** Pointe
aux Caves (Albion)
- 1910. Active; focal plane 46 m (151 ft); two white flashes every 10 s; there
is also a continuous red passing light at a focal plane of 30 m (98 ft). 30
m (98 ft) masonry tower with lantern and gallery. Lighthouse painted white
with two red horizontal bands. A photo is at right, Guyomard and Carceller
have several photos by Eric Valenne and Jean-Michel Penin,
Ramjheetun Elodie has another good photo,
there are photos taken from the gallery, Gordon Greeff has a closeup, Wikimedia has a photo, Trabas has Bjørn Poulsen's view from the sea, Jay Seenundun has a street view from the beach, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite
view. A handsome, very British lighthouse in the tropical Indian Ocean; it replaced a lightship station established in 1867.
Locally it is usually called the Phare d'Albion. Located on a headland about 10 km (6 mi) southwest of Port Louis, the national
capital. Accessible by road. Site open, tower open by arrangement with the attendant.
ARLHS MAT-004; Admiralty D7096; NGA 32852.
- * Pointe aux Sables
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); white light 1 s, off 1 s,
green light 1 s, off 1 s. 12 m (39 ft) black stone Martello tower with two
vertical white stripes. No lantern; the light is mounted on the top front
of the tower. Guyomard and Carceller have a photo by Jean-Michel Penin, Andres Stuyck has a fine photo, Pazhanivela Ramassami has a 2017 photo, and Google has a satellite
view. Martello towers are round fortifications built during the early nineteenth century to repel
attacks from the sea. This is one of five Martello towers the British built
on Mauritius after they took the island from the French in 1810; two of the
five were converted later into aids to navigation. Located on the B31 highway, on the west side
of the entrance to the old harbor of Port Louis. Accessible by road. Site open, tower closed.
ARLHS MAT-006; Admiralty D7097; NGA 32872.
- Port Louis Range Front
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 39 m (128 ft); red light, 7.5 s on, 2.5 s off. Approx. 33 m (108 ft) triangular steel skeletal tower, painted with red and white horizontal bands. Trabas has Thomas Philipp's photo, Bhugon Jean Francois has a view from across the harbor, Guy Bouvier has a view from the water, and Google has a satellite view. Located on Quay A on the Port Louis waterfront. Site and tower closed. ARLHS MAT-007; Admiralty D7101;
- * Port Louis Sector (Range Rear)
- Date unknown (2005?). Active; focal plane 69 m (226 ft); white, red or green
light, continuous or flashing, depending on direction (there are seven sectors, with varying characteristics). Short skeletal tower mounted on the roof of
the State Bank of Mauritius building in downtown Port Louis; the tower also carries
a diamond-shaped daymark. Naginlal Modi Bhavik has a photo of the bank, and Google has a satellite view. The sector light replaced the former rear range light, which
was on a skeletal tower on the hill behind the city. The view of the rear
light had become obstructed by the bank building and other downtown buildings.
Site open. Site manager: State Bank of Mauritius. ARLHS MAT-009; Admiralty D7101.1;
Pointe aux Caves Light, Port Louis, March 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Ashwin CM