[nafex] Ribes - Diseases

Hello All,

I have a question regarding anthracnose, which I believe is referred to as
"leaf spot" in currants.

This spring I put in 5 red currants, 5 black currants, 2 jostaberry and a
gooseberry.  The currants and josta were shipped dormant, except for 1 Red
Lake, red currant, and one Pixwell gooseberry.  I have sprayed every 10-14
days with a general purpose orchard spray, adding dormant oil, and lime
sulfur at grwoing season rates.

In the past couple of days I have noticed some leaves developing a brown
discoloration (or a brown, dead spot), in the outer edges of the leaves.

With it being such a wet season I don't know how much use my spray program
has been.  You no sooner spray than it rains (and rains well) in a day or
two.

The plants all seem to be very vigorous, except for these brown spots,
which are not wide spread at this point.

Having no experience with ribes I am not sure what it is.  I will post a
picture here; http://www.sentex.net/~tolenio/spot.gif  Give me some time
to get the image uploaded.

In my research I found that Ferbam is the only registered product for
anthracnose in currants, but I cannot find it locally.  I do have wettable
captan, and lime sulfur on hand, but want to know the best approach.

These plants will not be fruiting this season, as they are brand new in
their locations.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Tom
 --
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

Win a Guy and up to $20,000 in repairs to boot!
http://click.egroups.com/1/6283/0/_/423498/_/962724873/