Re: [nafex] gypsy moth caviar & Weight Watchers

At 10:17 PM 01/16/2001 -0500, Bill wrote:
>Maybe the early Native Americans knew something we don't? Should we eat our
>orchard and garden insect pests instead of spraying poisons around?

Well, Bill, I suspect that would be the ultimate in integrated pest management!

I read something, somewhere, in the last week or so (May have been on one
of the insect recipe websites), regarding consumption of dried, salted
locusts(migratory grasshoppers) by indigenous folks living around the Great
Salt Lake - seems there was a recent swarm of them that was studied by
entomologists - it was very easy to gather very large quantities of 'food'
in a short period of time
Here, I found it:  http://www.hollowtop.com/finl_html/huntgathers.htm
An interesting read.
More neat stuff & links at the Primitive Technology website, if anyone's
interested.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY