Re: [nafex] Seed Stratification (apple)

I have gone out in the spring and picked up apples underneath my Akane that
had laid there all winter.  The skin and flesh were intact but rotten, of
course, but upon examining the dark brown seeds they all had pure white tips
and looked like they were ready to germinate.  Also I have a third grade
teacher that lives nearby that as a class project in April had all of her
students bring an apple from home.  They all ate their apples and each
student removed the seeds from the core and planted them in pots and put the
pots in the classrooms windows.  She said that every one of her students
went home from school at the end of May with a little apple tree.

And for all of you that are following the global warming thread, it is 45 F
and raining in Ketchikan today.  I have crocuses, daffodils and tulips
sticking up out of the ground.  The pussy-willows are all puffed out and
there is an ornamental plum tree in town with several pink flowers on it.
Up north they are worried that they might have to cancel the Iditerod Sled
Dog Race from Anchorage to Nome due to a lack of snow.  Cheers from the
Alaskan Banana Belt.  Jerry Appleseed

----------
>From: applehilorchard@webtv.net
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Seed Stratification (apple)
>Date: Fri, Jan 26, 2001, 7:43 AM
>

> Will apple seeds stratify if still in the apple and kept in the cooler @
> 34 degrees since October?  and if so has anybody ever cut one open and
> found sprouted seeds?

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/980649188/