Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2001 9:03 AM
Subject: [nafex] trees not leafing out

In Indiana, Maine, and Wisconsin I have been hearing reports of fruit
trees not leafing out.
We had a very very mild winter here in S WI, and an average spring,
no surprises. The only unusual occurrence that I am aware of is that
we had an unusally late warm fall with a sudden cold spell, all of my
trees had vibrant green leaves when this cold hit, killing the
leaves.
Two types of trees are having trouble for me this spring:
Pears that were transplanted last fall, (had to do it when they still
had their green leaves as the soil was freezing). The pears that I
didn't transplant didn't have any problems. I didn't spring
transplant any pears to compare them to.
Peaches, both those that bore a heavy crop and those that didn't crop
at all.
All other trees seem ok. I fall transplanted many apples no problems
so far.
Have others had problems in fall transplanting pears?
Why do you suppose my peaches are struggling?
Many thanks
kevin b.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Yahoo! Website Services- Click Here!