[nafex] Re: Biennial bearing

I don't know about rootstock effects. The usual treatment is
appropriate pruning plus severe and early thinning in an "on" year,
repeated consistently in future years.

In difficult cases I have read a suggestion of, in an "on" year,
taking off as much of the blossom with a broom as possible, on half
of the scaffold limbs, then removing all fruit on those limbs while
leaving the others. Apparently scaffold limbs and the roots below
them function somewhat independently. This was in a British book and
the technique was said to be based on experience and tradition.

Or one could try the same treatment (one but not the other in any
given year) on two separate trees to get them bearing biennially but
in alternate years.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

--- In nafex@y..., Thomas Olenio <tolenio@s...> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could a biennial apple be made annual with a graft to the proper
> rootstock?

FREE COLLEGE MONEY
CLICK HERE to search
600,000 scholarships!