Re: please check in - from Charlie Paradise

Charlie,

My strategy has been to try a few each of lots of small cheap plants,
and see what works.  Ordered roughly from oldest to most recent:

Raspberries:  Fall Red, my most successful planting.  Also the oldest,
at more than 4 years.
Strawberries:  assorted - I don't remember the cultivars.
Currants: two or three feral reds, a Redstart, and some Crandalls - plus
I ordered a Jonkeer Van Tets.
Blueberries:  some native wild ones that are non-productive - probably
due to shade and water competition, one selected lowbush, 8 half-high
(Northsky, Northblue, and St. Cloud), and one highbush (Rubel)
Apple:  a baby Jonathan on M111, also I had a lot of grafts of assorted
apple cultivars on my two crab apples, but I think last summer's drought
did in most of the ones on the tree that doesn't get runoff irrigation
from the garden.
Western Evergreen Huckleberries:  Two survive from the several that a
kind Nafexer shipped me last spring.  My internet research indicates
they don't transplant well, and my results support that.  The ones that
are still alive were among the smallest of the seedlings I got.
Cornus Mas:  Two small trees from One Green World. (tagged, but I forget
the types)
Bush Cherries:  Two Prunus Fruticosa from St. Lawrence
Aronia:  One from the Arnold Arboretum plant sale, selected for foliage,
not fruit, I fear.
Some wild blackberries infected with a rust - not fruitful, but hard to
get rid of.
Some rhubarb (unknown cultivar, from my uncle's garden) that I put in
last fall.
And since you're a nut guy, maybe I should add that I have black,
scarlet, and white oaks.  Thus, not as much sun as I might want, but
they do keep the house cool.  I also put in about 3 tomatoes every
summer, and have a potted Myers lemon tree.

Dear me, that sounds like a lot.  It's not, really.  Almost everything
is too young to bear.

Ginda Fisher