[NAFEX] Killing Poison Ivy

Michael:

If you want to get rid of poison ivy without using herbicides, you might
consider small nuclear devices.  But back to reality here.  Poison ivy
cannot be dug out, grubbed out, or wished out.  The best medicine is
2,4-D applied when the plants are fully leafed out, and it will have to
be done more than once, perhaps in successive seasons.  Oddly enough,
2,4-D is more effective than the much pricier glyphosate (Roundup) at
eliminating p.i.  If there are mature vines climbing the trees, cut them
off low to the ground first with a pruning shears (wearing gloves).
 When a flush of leaves appears at the base, that is the time to hit
them.  I have had quite a bit of experience with p.i. around here, and
have taken out vines that had grown to over an inch thick.  Almost big
enough to make furniture.  Even after they are dead they are toxic to
the skin.  I have also used 2,4-D around the base of my fruit trees
against dicots like chickweed for many years, still do, and there has
been absolutely no sign of damage.  I think if there were a lot of
suckering growth around the trees I would cut that off first, since
2,4-D is absorbed primarily through the leaves, but after that, the bark
of the tree will fully protect it against 2,4-D.

Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA