Re: [nafex] Triple Crown

Jackie: You certainly may use it, if you think it is of interest.  Wish I had
another year of experience with this berry, so I could report on how it
fruits, but have to wait 'till next summer.  I also planted Doyle, so it will
be interesting to see how it stacks up against Triple Crown in quality and
productivity.  BTW I think a lot of the copyright discussion we had in the
last several weeks on the msg board was a lot of ado about not very much.  I
am certainly not a professional garden writer, and view Nafex as an
organization in which we all sort of like and respect each other, in the same
way you would talk to your neighbor over the back fence.  I hope we can get
back to that.  Best Rgds, Don Yellman

jakuehn@yourinter.net wrote:

> Don--may I use this in Pomona?
>
> Let me know.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jackie Kuehn
>
> Don Yellman wrote:
>
> > Mr. Bunny:
> >
> > 1.  I have the impression that Triple Crown is quite a new blackberry
> > cultivar, so there may not be many with more than a year or two of
> > experience with it.  I planted 10 last April, and it has grown all
> > summer with extreme vigor and no disease problems.
> > 2.  I built strong supports for them, consisting of treated 8' landscape
> > timbers as posts, treated 2x4's screwed together in a "T" form across
> > the top, and four strands of No. 9 galvanized wire spaced between the
> > posts and stretched tight.  Without this, they would be all over the
> > yard, as some of the canes have grown more than 14 feet before I pinched
> > them off.  I am tying them up with plastic coated wire.  After pinching,
> > they don't give up, but continue to try to grow.
> > 3.  Several canes that got back down to the ground before I tied them up
> > tip-rooted, but they do not sucker.  They would be easy to propagate by
> > tip-rooting.
> > 4.  We got a few berries from the original canes, and they were of
> > excellent quality, although I would say slightly smaller and a bit more
> > tart than the thorny varieties I have grown in the past. (Darrow and
> > Shawnee).  This was probably not a fair test, and I look forward to next
> > season to see what they are really like.
> > 5.  I am assuming that I will renovate the same way I did with thorny
> > types; cut out and remove the old canes after fruiting, and tie up the
> > new ones.  I know they will be more labor-intensive than the thorny
> > types, but I anticipate they will save me a great deal of pain.  I hated
> > working with the thorny types, but loved the berries.  With the number
> > of healthy canes that I have stretched over 30 feet of supports, I
> > expect to to get a substantially larger crop next summer than the
> > equivalent space devoted to thorny types.
> > 6.  What is it about this plant that you did not expect?
> >
> > Best Regards, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA
> > "Where the deer and the antelope play".  Minus the antelope.

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/423498/_/977849864/