[compost_tea] Re: cleaning machines

From: chriscreid <reidchris_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:29:33 -0000

BILL SAID:

 And the question of responsibility being put on the brewer mfg.,
well don't get me started again. Is the mfg of a milkshake mixer
responsible for someone getting ill because the restaurant jockey is
too busy or lazy to clean the cup after a couple of days of use???
Does anyone need more example????

I REPLY:
Again, Bill, hold on. I bathe regularly. I have tested my tea, but
not every time I brewed.T he manufacturer of my brewer is Bob
Norsen. I got no cleaning instructions with my brewer. I didn't
clean the PVC air column after the 90 degree elbow, or the 90 degree
elbow leading into the vinyl tubing because "the air goes there".
Why should it be dirty? I hosed off and cleaned off everything...I
could see.

Then I noticed a brown film inside the vinyl tubing. I tried to
slosh some peroxide in there, but it didn't come out. Tried to ge
the tubing off, but I couldn't. Wrote to Bob, who said I should be
able to wiggle it off. Must be a wimp - still couldn't. Then Kevin
Richardson wrote and suggested I just remove the tubing and add new
stuff. Went to home Depot, got some tubing, cut the old stuff off.

The other air column I still can't see and haven't yet found a good
bottle brush to use in it. Got a post from somebody who borrowed a
friend's Bob O Lator and discovered biofilm inside this tube. He
wrote about how he cleaned it out.

You may go and re-read Elaine's post to see how Bob's brewer is
being represented to the public.

Oh, also on the Bitti Bob O Lator, there is a PVC "hook" attached
with a screw to the side of the brewer. You can use this to hang the
brewer on a container, but if you are brewing small batches in a 32
gallon container, it doesn't work. I wrote to bob and he told me to
use a coat hanger to dangle the brewer in the tank, or to drill a
new hold and move the hook.

Also on this machine, there are little holes at the base of the
column -- this is where the air and water are pushed into the main
container. Be careful that bark or compost debris doesn't clog
these holes. I pushed mine out with the tip of a coat hanger or
something.

So -- to Autumn's point -- I would like to see less smooth talk
about how there's no problem with a brewer and less words that
characterize (easy, little time, effortless, etc.) and more straight
talk provided at the time of purchase of a brewer (15 min to clean,
extra tools required, trouble spots to watch for are a b and c). It
really P*sses me off to spend the money one spends on a brewer, and
have to discover this stuff by yourself. With the price of testing,
one really doesn't want too many expensive lessons that are due to
the manufacturer not providing thorough instructions.

I am reminded of a sign carved in a stone at the entrance to Stew
Leonard's, a hugely successful dairy and produce store in our area.

It says: Rule Number 1: The customer is always right.

Rule Number 2: When the customer is wrong, see rule #1.

What I mean by that is not "so there!" and I flounce out of the room.

What I mean is that I am trying to demonstrate a customer need, and
I really appreciate manufacturers who will try to address customer
needs and not put the customer down for having them. Does this make
any sense?

Well, gotta go take a *shower* ; ))

Chris Reid

Yahoo! Groups Links