Salt and Urine (Was Re: [compost_tea] Re: A great raw material for compost

From: David Hall <dchall8_at_texas.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:59:52 -0000

Maybe this article from a vet at Texas A&M University will explain
it.

http://aggie-
horticulture.tamu.edu/PLANTanswers/turf/dog_lawn_problems.html

Personally, I have found that a handful of table sugar scattered on
the spot clears it up in 2-3 weeks.

David Hall
San Antonio, TX

--- In compost_tea_at_yahoogroups.com, soilfoodweb_at_a... wrote:
> Hi Deb -
>
> My father was a veterinarian, so I know the dogs weren't sick in
any way. I don't think illness or abnormaility can be invoked.
Male dog pee can result in brown spots just as well as female,
although I will bow to others when they say that female pee perhaps
causes more damage. Your idea of acidity would be one possible
explanation.

> If your compost tea has good humic acid content, which you can
usually tell by color, then it definately would have ability to
absorb salts. So, compost tea should be dark brown. Not black. Be
aware there is a dry, soluble kelp that is very dark in color
(burned during drying?) which imparts a dark color to a tea , but is
not humic acid and has none of the benefits. Sigh. When you buy
tea, you need to ask about the ingredients that are actually in the
tea, or you may get dark color without the benefits of humics.

> I leave for Australia today (with a stop in San Francisco for a
talk Saturday in San Mateo), so I will not be responding to e-mails
as readily for the next month. I plan on getting at least one
surfing day in while I'm downunder!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511