Re: [compost_tea] Re: chelating minerals with ACT

From: Perry Clutts <addy_at_arczip.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 00:09:36 -0400

Elaine wrote:
The lactic acid bacteria, and proprionic bacteria, both of which grow bette=
r a reduced oxygen concentrations, and appear to be VERY competitive with h=
uman pathogens, are major componenets of EM.
-----

I didn't know the EM contained both lactic and proprionic acids. Both of th=
ese materials are used for preserving hay. Lactic is cheaper, but you can o=
nly bale up to 23% moisture, while proprionic acid can be used up to 30% mo=
isture. This is used mostly for large bales (4'X4'x8') and in alfalfa where=
 it is better to bale when the hay has more moisture for leaf retention. I =
wonder how EM would work for this??? Should have figured this since I know =
EM is used in Europe for weekly home food waste pick ups to keep the waste =
fresh before being taken to composting facilities.

When you go to South Africa maybe you'll have a chance to check out some ha=
ying too!!! In your spare time!!! I'll give it a try here...

Perry