[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The Limits To Growth

On 6 Dec David Lloyd-Jones made an ad hominem argument and indulged in name calling in
the grand style:

> My own feeling is more like this: I think Jay made a good living as a
> freelance writer for some years out of running a schtick.
>
> Now a reaction has set in: many people have looked at what went on
> under the aegis of "environmentalism" over the last thirty years, and
> found much of it lacking.

Where the hell have you been living these last thirty years?  If it weren't
for the environmentalist who started controlling smog more than thirty
years ago, California would now be unlivable.  And a speak as a Californian
with asthma probably acquired in Los Angeles thirty years ago.

Maybe this dumping ground for inanitites is populated by teen agers who
don't know about the river in Ohio that caught fire.  Or about the time long
ago when people caught fish from the Chicago beaches.  Fish that are now
coming back. I could go on and on but youth must be served so live in your
ignorance of the real world.

> he gets hysterical when
> criticised by well informed and judicious environmentalists (like
> myself, among others).

Well, well, a "judicious environmentalist"?  Self-appointed.  I've seen
precious evidence of judiciousness here.  Where should I look?

> He won't necessarily understand it all, but he'll run it off by the
> ream as long as it pays.

A clever attack.  McCarthy would love it.  Oh, but you wouldn't know
who I refer to.  Tell us about Hanson making money from environmentalism.
Or tell us how much he's *spent* on it.

Nothing I've seen here more strongly supports Jay Hanson than the
scurrilousins of the attackes upon him.

I've been looking into the problem of ideology - there's at least one very
good page on the web if anyone's interested.  The word that keeps reappearing
is "FEAR" - in many cases irrational.  The fear that drives the environmentalism
ideology seems apparent.  Whether it's irrational could be debated, but obviously
not here.

Now the question is:  what is the nature of the fear that is so driving the
anti-environmentalism ideology? The profit motive is obvious for the Pollyanna
book sellers.  But what fear is driving you?

Mason A Clark      masonc@ix.netcom.com
Political-Economics, Comets, Weather
The Healing Wisdom of Dr. P.P.Quimby
  www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3210
  www.netcom.com/~masonc

Vickery on the "Deficit" and notes on Vickrey

  www.netcom.com/~masonc/vickrey.html
  www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/3210/vickrey.html

Follow-Ups: References: