                             ***
                   Pesticide Action Network
                        North America
                       Updates Service
                 http://www.panna.org/panna/
            =====================================

Resource Pointer #134

July 16, 1997

For copies of the following resources, please contact
the appropriate publishers or organizations directly.

                         ***

*Earth for Sale: Reclaiming Ecology in the Age of
Corporate Greenwash, 1997.* Brian Tokar. Examines
challenges to environmental movement from corporate
public relations and argues that big environmental
groups have failed to truly defend the environment from
government and industry assaults. Documents emergence of
democratic challenges to corporate environmentalism,
including environmental justice movement. 224 pp. US$18
plus $3 shipping. Order Department, South End Press, 116
Saint Botolph Street, Boston, MA 02115; phone toll free
(800) 533-8478 or (617) 266-0629; fax (617) 266-1595;
email south.end.press@lbbs.org.

*Environmental Activism and World Civic Politics, 1997.*
Paul Wapner. Examines role of transnational
environmental groups in affecting policy changes and
contributing to a new "world civic politics."
Investigates strategies and activities of World Wildlife
Fund, Greenpeace and Friends of the Earth, emphasizing
that these groups operate at different levels --
community, state and international -- to influence
politics. Discusses these groups' roles regarding
Montreal Protocol, sustainable development, multilateral
development banks and range of other environmental
issues. 238 pp. US$18.95 plus $3.50 shipping. State
University of New York Press, State University Plaza,
Albany, NY 12246; phone (518) 472-5000; fax (518) 472-
5038.

*Whose Reality Counts? Putting the First Last, 1997.*
Robert Chambers. Analyzes paradigms of development,
emphasizing that development professionals need to learn
new ways of interacting with and learning from
individuals in communities being served. Explores
methodologies of participatory rural appraisal (PRA),
and examines development strategies related to
agriculture and food security. 297 pp. Intermediate
Technology Publications, 103-105 Southampton Row, London
WC1B 4HH, UK; phone (44 171) 436-9761; fax (44 171) 436-
2013; email itpubs@gn.apc.org;
http://www.oneworld.org/itdg.

*Farm Programs: Efforts to Achieve Equitable Treatment
of Minority Farmers, 1997.* U.S. General Accounting
Office (GAO). Testimony by U.S. Department of
Agriculture (USDA) before House of Representatives on
efforts by USDA to promote fair treatment of minority
farmers. Discusses lending, hiring and county committee
representation by people of color and women. Briefly
describes reasons farmers are approved or denied moneys
from USDA loan programs. 11 pp. No charge for one copy;
US$2 each additional copy. U.S. General Accounting
Office, P.O. Box 6015, Gaithersburg, MD 20884-6015;
phone (202) 512-6000 (Washington, DC office); fax (301)
258-4066; http://www.gao.gov. For information on
accessing GAO reports online, send email with "info" in
message body to info@www.gao.gov.

*The Pest Invasion, 1996.* Safer Pest Control Project.
Comic book story of apartment building residents who
mobilize to control pests without toxic pesticides.
Produced, in part, to educate children and adults in
public housing in Chicago, where residents of one public
housing development helped develop a least toxic pest
control program. Presents basic information about
cockroach and rat control strategies. 14 pp. Free. Safer
Pest Control Project, 17 East Monroe Street, Suite 212,
Chicago, IL 60603; phone (312) 641-5575.

We encourage those interested in having resources listed
in the Online Resource Pointer to send review copies of
publications, videos or other sources to our office
(address listed below) or to contact Information Program
Associate Adam Kirshner for further information.