Re: more on scary genetic engineering (fwd)

>Sal,

processed organic foods - that NOSB recommendation for the 5% tolerance has
some pretty big restrictions on it.  It was  meant to bridge the gap for
certain agricultural ingredients that were unavailable in organic form -
largely spices.  An example of this would be black pepper, which is an
exotic imported product which until very recently, could not be found at
all as certified organic.  With the global spread of organics and in
response to the demand - some black pepper supplies are now developing, but
they are still not enough to match all the demand from organic processors.
The 5% tolerance does not cover the addition of prohibited materials such
as synthetic compunds that are not exempted by the NOSB, and it would not
allow genetically engineered ingredients if the final organic regulation
follows the NOSB's recommendation on this issue.   There are some other
issues the 5% can cover such as regulatory requirements to which certain
categories of foods are subject - the addition of Vitamin D to fluid mil as
a prime example.  Hope this brings some clarity to the matter. It is still
encumbant upon us to monitor developments in the USDA and NOSB to ensure
that the 5% margin is not abused in such a way that organic integrity is
lost.

thereof) for genetically engineered products and their status in organic
products are interrelated.  Without a requirement for clear and distinct
labeling of GE products it may be very difficult if not impossible for
organic certifiers to enforce the ge prohibition across the board for
organic systems. We are learning about common food production enzymes whose
formulations decades ago already may have technically been genetically
engineered according to the NOSB definition
(although not transgenically modified (gene transfer from one species to
another, which is the classic definition).  Seed sources are another area
likely to become very difficult to monitor as more and more generations of
seeds could be either ge or non-ge sources and those sources can be
multiple for any one bag of seed. We in the certification world are
deliberating all these difficult issues. We need an organic regulation that
we CAN ENFORCE - not just one that makes us all feel good when we read it.

Diane Bowen
California Certified Organic Farmers ( CCOF)

The National Organic Standards Board recommends that the class of