Subject: Help: rashes caused by handling produce
Author:  INTERNET:jhendric@facstaff.wisc.edu at CSERVE
Date:    8/30/97 5:13 PM

Sender: almanac-request@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 14:26:16 -0500
To: sanet-mg@amani.ces.ncsu.edu
From: "John A. Hendrickson" <jhendric@facstaff.wisc.edu>

The produce manager at a food cooperative in Madison, Wisconsin is
desperately trying to find out why she and many of her staff have
been suffering from serious rashes on their hands and arms over the
past few years or more.  They believe they've narrowed it down to
their handling of either watermelons or celery that is not certified
organic (i.e., "commercial").  They're concerned about long-term
effects; some are already left with scars from the rash.  Does
anyone out there have any information on this?  Is this common in
produce retail?  I'll forward her your replies, thankyou.

-John

John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
1450 Linden Drive, Room 146
Madison, WI  53706
jhendric@facstaff.wisc.edu