GBlist: wall insulation is good, attic air sealing is better

<snip>

I have to disagree about the importance of insulating the walls of the
thermal envelope.  Yes, the top and bottom of the building are very
important for convective heat loss through air leakage.  But the walls
cover significantly more surface area than the floor and attic and are a
*major* source of conductive heat loss.

<snip>

Dear Catherine,

I agree with everything you say. But I'm puzzled as to why you feel your
comments contradict mine.

I'm sure you have encountered people trying to prioritize their
conservation efforts. And you no doubt have seen homes retrofitted with
wall insulation that produced less result than a little plugging in the
attic would have accomplished.

My point is that the common man has been trained to respond to R-value
and he needs to be sensitized to air sealing in the big pressure zones.

Go fight the good fight with the Fglass crowd. I'm on your side.

Regards, Fred