Re: GBlist: Asbestos Containment options

Richard: We are currently researching the use of icynene as asbestos
encapsulation, although complete removal is by far the best
strategy. However, even the very act of applying icynene will create
enough pressure on existing material to delaminate it, so that the applicator
is scared to apply his material. For a college recofit project
which we recently designed, we had many
different sources of asbestos, not only as roof insulation (over a former
pool), but also in ceiling tile and around mechanical equipment.The
regulations are very tight and the health concerns significant. Make sure
the asbestos mapping does not forget unseen areas. It will mess up any
building budget in a hurry. If you want our technical contacts at Icynene
please let me know. However, it is not clear whether icynene will work.
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm