GBlist: Whole-house water filter

I'm buying an existing house and want to put in a water filter for the
whole house at the basement water tank. I have multiple chemical
sensitivities,  and the municipal water here in Charlottesville, VA, not
only tastes vile (a lot of chlorine) but has made my hands itchy, cracked
and scaly. My understanding is that carbon block filtration systems are the
best, but the only ones I know of are under-sink or showerhead units. Any
suggestions? I know there is a vast array of products out there, so would
appreciate product recommendations based on personal experience. Many thanks.