Re: GBlist: Re: Greywater & Lighting in NYC

To my knowledge, there are no specific regulations in NYC about
greywater except for existing corss-connection and backflow regs and the
requirement that piping carrying non-potable water be clearly labelled
as such.

There is only one greywater installation I know of, a "Toys-R-Us" in
Brooklyn which went with a greywater system years ago to avoid expansion
of a sewer line.  There are a number of buildings, however, which make
use of Con Edison steam condensate (very large district heating system
in Manhattan) for cooling tower makeup, DHW pre-heat and in a few cases,
toilet flushing.

The lack of specific regulations indicating how you can do something can
be as much of a barrier as regs which limit a practice. I currently have
an engineering reviewing current regs with an idea to developing
something regarding greywater, Con Ed condensate and rainwater.

--
Warren C. Liebold

wliebold@waonline.com
wliebold@pppmail.nyser.net

Director of Conservation
New York City Department of Environmental Protection