Re: GBlist: MASS of furniture, furnishings & appliances

This report is currently available from ASHRAE > The report on 455-RP is
available.  This, or any approved Final
>      Report on an ASHRAE research project, may be obtained by sending a
>      check for $30.00 made payable to "ASHRAE RESEARCH" to Bill Seaton, %
>      ASHRAE, 1791 Tullie Circle,  Atlanta, GA 30329. or furnishing the
>      pertinent information for a purchase with a major credit card.  This
>      charge is to cover the cost of reproduction and first class postage.
>      Overseas parties may wish to have the report sent via airmail, in
>      which case an additional $15.00 should be added.

, I have not received it yet so can't really comment. I have another
reference for a study (canadian?) currently being done specifically on
mass effects of furnishings but I can't find the damm thing. Will you be
posting the information on your site?
John

RESEARCH PROJECT FACT SHEET

455-RP
INVESTIGATION OF DYNAMIC LATENT HEAT STORAGE EFFECTS OF BUILDING
CONSTRUCTION AND FURNISHINGS
Ontario Research Foundation
Principal Investigator:  David W. Bailey

BACKGROUND AND NEED:

Often, air-conditional systems are shut down at night and the cool
night air introduced to provide sensible cooling. However, this
night air has a high relative humidity and the moisture absorbed by
the building and its furnishings appear the next day as a latent
heat load which must be removed.  The dynamics of this
sorption/desorption process needs additional study.

OBJECTIVE & SCOPE:

The objective of this research project is to develop information on
the dynamic heat storage effects of building construction and
furnishing materials caused by cyclical exposure to changes in
relative humidity and produce material sorption data to be used to
analytically determine the effective moisture diffusion rates of
common building materials.

PROJECT COST:
$88,520

DURATION:
15-18 months

SUPERVISING COMMITTEE:

TC 4.4 Thermal Insulation and Moisture Retarders

RESEARCH PLAN CATEGORY

Energy Conservation

METHOD OF DISSEMINATING RESEARCH RESULTS:

Technical Paper will be presented at ASHRAE meeting and published
in Transactions.  Findings will be used to update Chapter 23 of the
Fundamentals Handbook.