GBlist: definition of "Heating Season"

After having calculated our total backup heating for the winter (in
Kwh/DD/cubic M) based on what I thought constituted our heating season, we
had a week of 26 DF weather followed by 15cm snow, followed by a week
without sun and highs of 5 DC. Now I have to revise my  heating season.
What is the best
definition of "Heating Season"? Does ASHRAE  have one that can be used in
any location? Would it be based on DD using 18 degree C as the base?
Comments and definitions welcomed.