Re: GBlist: Dangers of CCA Pressure Treated Wood

At 09:57 AM 6/9/97 -0000, you (Chris & Ruth Koehn) wrote:
>We've been considering using some of the  native and naturally rot
>resistant wood species in place of cca treated wood.  My forestry
>connections suggest that walnut, certain species of locust, red cedar,
>and katalpa are all very rot resistent-

White oak and tulip poplar are some other species that also exhibit rot
resistance.  Another technique for direct-ground contact is to char the
surface of the wood which will be in contact with the ground.  I understand
that the resulting charcoal surface layer helps prevent invasion by termites
and decay microorganisms.

Mark Hoberecht