GBlist: Pest Management in Buildings

Dear green path followers:

The following are two small excerpts from CONSUMER REPORTS June 1997 issue.
 Very easy to read and consumer friendly article which appears very
informational as well.  If any more informed person than I has a chance to
read this article, I would appreciate an evaluation of the information
contained therein.   If there is a good location for me to cross post to, let
me know. If the information is good, I plan to ask for permission to reprint
to provide my clients with this information in an easy to read manner.

Thanks for your input,
Dona Stankus

<< Safer ways to banish bugs

            A CONSUMER GUIDE TO PEST CONTROL.

                           Over the past decade, the home
                           pest control business, spurred
                           by growing awareness of envi-
                           ronmental and health hazards, has
                           beglm phasing out the indiscriminate
                           pesticides once used routinely to kill
                           roaches, termites, mice, and their ilk.
                           The new approach, usually called in-
                           tegrated pest management, or IPM,
                           employs carefully chosen, less-toxic

                           methods to repel or eliminate pests.>>

<<- Termites. The most common type, the subterranean termite,  found
throughtout the US, enters homes through the ground.  Dry-wood termites,
found in California and Southern states, can fly into the house at any point
and frequently attack attics.  The voracious subterranean Formosan termite is
confined to the Southeast and Hawaii.  Effective control requires
professional treatment.  .....Least toxic controls for subterraneans:
 moisture control; destruction of tubes; baits; imidacloprid or pyrethroid
soil and sub-slab injections; annual monitoring and inspection.  For drywood
termites:  spot treatment with borates for limited infestation; superheating
of house for widespread infestation.>>