Re: GBlist: (Some) affordable house design strategies

Scaie,
>"These are the best windows that I know of at the moment for this type of
>building"
>What do you mean by the above?  Are these windows suitable for 'affordable
>housing' but not an architect designed residence?

First or all, I'd better be careful here because I have yet to have these
windows installed and in use in a project of mine. I have one of each of
the three manufacturers deliver to my offices a sample window, and my
partners and I have gone over them fairly thoroughly. I have a client who
has taken delivery of a shipment of these windows from Thermotech, but we
have yet to fully experience them in action.

I think these windows make sense for good houses in my (NE) climate because
of their general level of quality and durability (we'll see about the
latter, but it looks promising). But most especially because of the glazing
upgrade oppportunity mentioned in my last posting - one can buy a decent
(double pane low-e, argon) glazing panel now and upgrade in ten or twenty
years (in principle) to a superglazed panel when the market place costs are
more in accord with the *real* costs - ie as the hidden environmental costs
are revealed and progressively become factored into the market place.  The
sash and frame remain.  All that embodied energy and effort invovled in
producing and installing the bulk of the window can be there, and be good
for a very long time. The glazing panel can track independently. Long life
... loose fit... low energy - it is really hard to get this combination.
The *loose fit* between the glazing panel and sash (I should mention that
the sash can be retroactively accept a triple glazed panel where a thinner,
double glazed panel was previously)  ... is a valuable quality I think. And
one that contributes a special shade of green-ness to those prodcuts that
think about things in this way.

Bruce Coldham
ARC Design Group