GBlist: RE: Cold Storage

Further to the below message, some may be interested in our latest modifications
to our 1st generation cold closet. This 44 CF is a root  cellar on the main
floor of our sustainable home. Two motorized dampers with a small reused fan
on the lower one. Two reused refrigerator thermostats open the motorized dampers
and turn on the fan in either of the following 2 situations:
1) too warm inside the cool closet
2) too hot outside (ie. sun is warming up the east side)

It has operated in a manual mode for the past 3 winters with temperatures
3-8 dC for 95% of the time. Last year the fridge was off for 7 months 3
weeks bringing our yearly cost for keeping food cold to $4.50 (cool closet
+ Vestfrost fridge/freezer).We have not finalized  the control of this
automatic system yet since we just completed it.
PLEASE  NOTE  NEW  E-MAIL  ADDRESS (below)
Jorg Ostrowski,  M. Arch. A.S. (MIT), B. Arch. (Toronto), Ecotect
-  in full-time professional practice since 1976 (Straw Bale since 1978),
   environmental/architectural design, ecological planning,  consulting
   on sustainable  buildings/communities. Lectures, seminars, workshops.
   3 demonstration projects in Canada, +80,000 visitors
 - living a conserver lifestyle & working in a sustainable home and office
ACE, ARE, ACT, ASH-Incs., Phone: (403) 239-1882, Fax: (403) 547-2671
Web Site [under construction]: http://www.ucalgary.ca/~jdo/ecotecture.htm
e-mail: <jdo@acs.ucalgary.ca>