GBlist: Cedar shingles and alternatives to tar paper

Hello all,

I'm new to the list, but I'm sure I'll find much useful information here (as
on the Strawbale list!) and hope that I can contribute some too.

My present question concerns tar paper and alternatives (if any) in the
context of a cedar shingle roof.  Is the paper really required, any
technique for building without it?  I'm planning to sheath the roof with T&G
boards, then put on horizontal strapping (1x3) so as to get a "cold roof"
(as protection against ice dams).  I live in Prince Edward Island which is a
fairly windy place although I'm not on the coast, but 20 km inland.  I did
look in the Crest archives but I didn't hit upon anything that seemed to
address this question (I'll admit that I'm never sure if I really get what
I'm searching for).

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Bye for now.  Pierre.

pierremasson@geocities.com
Charlottetown, PEI, Canada.