Re: GBlist: Cedar shingles and alternatives to tar paper

I've been in buildings that had cedar (shake) roofs that were over 100
years old. From the attic you could see daylight through the shakes and
on wet days moisture seeping through. This type of roof is highly
dependent on air flow to maintain any integrity and so was traditionally
installed without any paper or sheathing that could trap moisture or
debris or limit air movement. When code requirements for papering a roof
became enforced in our area a number of older roofers either refused to
do shake roofs or provide any warranty. The basic thought was that the
roof would last as long as the roofing paper.

Shakes are the most traditional of wood roofing products i.e. they are
split (along the grain) from very premium chunks of old growth cedar.
Their durability is a factor of both tightness of grain and that the
grain lines are intact (not cut as in shingles). Short supplies of old
growth lumber are having an impact on the quality of shakes and shingles
produced.

The real question for me is not really about function but
appropriateness. The trees used are irreplaceable and their value
incalculable. I would look at some of the wood/cement composite shingles
being produced as an alternative.

John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S

Shakes or shingles are not a sustainable product