GBlist: Home Show

This rainy weekend is the weekend for the House Beautiful Show at the
AlamoDome in San Antonio, Texas.

Went to see the sights yesterday as I usually do.  I justify this to
myself as market research.   If anything, this show is an indicator of
the state of the building industry in South Texas.

The show this year was dominated by multiple booths for security
companies, water conditioning companies and various cleaning products.
Gee, now that I reflect, it sort of looked like the Home Shopping Network
on TV.

I did count five builders who's name I actually recognized.  One of these
was a (so-called) builder of mobile homes.  No electricians, no plumbers,
no masons, few roofers, some flooring (?).  It seemed to me,  very few
vendors who's products or services could be described as renewable or
sustainable.

I should note possible exceptions for the booths of Energrid
(styrofoam-cinder blocks?), SolaTube, and Skylights over Texas.  Maybe
the landscapers?

To the show's credit it was populated mostly by small businesses.  But I
wonder if this is because the region's substantial architects, builders,
contractors and associated businesses (SBT) recognize that this show and
it's sister show in the Spring does not return business activity for the
expense?  An empty 10 X 10 booth now costs around $1000.00 for a 2 1/2
day event.   The show then charges attendees (customers) for parking and
attendance.  This show and few of it's participants seem to be conscious
of the need  and the economic opportunity for green sustainable products
and services.

Would someone dial 911 and send the "Green EMS" to South Texas please?

Steve Shepard
SBT Automation
210-698-7109 Fax:210-698-7109
sbtauto@juno.com