GBlist: ICP Energy Audit Costs

Question Raised:

>Hello - I picked up one of your newsletters at the Greening of the Campus
>Conference at Ball State recently.  I work at Michigan State University; a
>small group of us are in the process of trying to convince some
>Administration folks to okay an energy audit for our campus, and we're
>looking for any information or guidance from some informed sources.
>
>Is there any direction you could give us, as far as getting started? Are
>you aware of any cost-factors to performing the review that we would want
>to know about beforehand?

First Response:

The Dept of Energy had a program for years (may still be in
extistence) called the Institutional Conservation Program (ICP, also
informally called Schools and Hospitals program), which provided
grants for energy audits and for energy retrofits of institutional
buildings.  Most states have a body of energy consultants who
specialize in this work, driven in part by this program.  I suggest
looking for these consultants for specific advice on costs, etc.  ICP
was commonly administered through state energy offices, so you might
try them for more information.

I formerly worked with the PEnnsylvania Energy Office (PEO).  The ICP
Program was broken down into Technical Assistance (TA) and Energy
Conservation Measure (ECM) grants.  They were 50% matching grants.  On the
TA side the PEO would pay a maximum of $0.06 per square foot for an energy
audit.  If the school paid 50% then the audit would cost $0.12 per square
foot.  Some audits cost a little more, some a little less.  Typical range
was between $0.10 and $0.15 per square foot.  Costs may have increased a
little as these figures are from about 1993.  Maximum cost should not
exceed $0.20 per square foot.