[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: on-line reserves

The notion of on-line reserves was also debated at Virginia as we.. They
incorporated several takes.

First the library would put almost anything on-line with campus access
restrictions (must end in virginia.edu). Their library's Electronic Text
Center will scan and upload materials just as our will put xeroxes in our
box under those access restrictions.

Some professors, including one to whom I am married, would place whatever
materials that their class required on-line with a notice, similar to the
Duke ones, that th materials were for class use only and others should
not use them. The argument on this side is that this is exactly
how material access is handled in the paper/xerox world and that no noe
entering the library would be denied access to reserved materials.

I have, in one of my boxes yet unpacked, Jerry Campbell's article in
Association of Research Libraries Journal on his approach at Duke
(written just before he left for California) if anyone would like to read it.

                             Paul Jones
Certified Black Helicopter Pilot *** Unwitting Dupe of One World Gov'ment
http://sunsite.unc.edu/pjones/     The Unix Web Server Book (Ventana 1997)
  pjones@sunsite.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071