Lighthouses of Djibouti
Djibouti is a small nation at the head of the Gulf of
Aden in northeastern Africa. It was formerly a French colony known
at various times as French Somaliland, French Somali Coast, and Territory
of the Afars and Issas. It became independent in 1977. The country has
maintained ties with France and has established ties with
the U.S., making it possible for western tourists to visit the area.
The great lighthouse of Ra's Bir is the one fairly well known Djiboutian
light. Very little is known about the others so photos and
visitor reports are badly needed.
Special thanks to Jean-François Rodriguez-Nadal for contributing the two photos on this page.
French and Arabic are the official languages in Djibouti. In French, the word for a lighthouse is phare. The Arabic word for a lighthouse is mnarh or manara (منارة). Ra's is a cape, jaza'ir or jazirat is an island, and shi'b is a reef. Transliteration of Arabic to Latin characters can be done in many ways, so alternate spellings are common.
Aids to navigation in Djibouti are operated and
maintained by the port authority, the Port
of Djibouti. The port is operated under lease by Dubai Ports International. DPI
is developing Djibouti as the major port of entry and export for northeastern
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume D of
the Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List
numbers are from Publication 112.
- General Sources
- Phares d'Afrique
- Photos posted by Alain Guyomard and Robert Carceller as part of their Phares du Monde web site.
- World of Lighthouses - Djibouti
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Online List of Lights - Djibouti
- Photos by various photographers posted by Alexander Trabas.
Leuchttürme auf historischen Postkarten
- Historic postcard images posted by Klaus Huelse.
- Lighthouses of Africa
- Historic postcard images posted by Michel Forand.
- Navigation chart information for this area.
Ra's Bir Light, Obock, November 2011
photo copyright Jean-François Rodriguez-Nadal
used by permission
- Obock Region Lighthouses
- Note: The village of Obock, on the north shore of the Gulf of Tadjoura, was the site of France's first colony in Djibouti (1862). The town has a population of 21,000.
- Ra's Bir (1)
- 1889. Inactive as a lighthouse since 1952. 2-story square stone
tower. In 2002-03, French contractors helped Djibouti install radars atop
the old lighthouse to monitor ship traffic in the Bab el Mendab strait. Étienne Henry has a photo of the two lighthouses. Located on Ra's Bir, a desolate cape at the northern
entrance to the Gulf of Tadjoura. Accessible by boat or by 4WD from Obock,
but permission of the military is probably required to visit the site. Site
and tower closed. ARLHS DJI-008.
- Ra's Bir
- 1952 (station established 1889). Active; focal plane 74 m (243 ft); two white flashes every 10 s. 50
m (164 ft) round concrete tower with lantern, gallery, and four supporting
buttresses. The top of the tower has a broad horizontal band painted dark red; it often appears black in photos. Lantern painted
white. Keeper's house and other buildings enclosed by a stone wall. The old
lighthouse, now a radar station, stands in front of the lighthouse. Jean-François Rodriguez-Nadal's photo is at the top of the page, Étienne Henry has another photo, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite
view. One of Africa's great lighthouses, this light marks the southern
end of the strait of Bab-el-Mendab connecting the Red Sea and Gulf of Aden.
Located on Ra's Bir, a desolate cape at the northern entrance to the Gulf of
Tadjoura. Accessible by boat or by 4WD from Obock, but permission of the military
is probably required to visit the site. Site and tower closed. ARLHS DJI-001;
Admiralty D7272; NGA 30952.
- Obock (Passe du Sud) Range Front
- Date unknown. Reactivated(?); focal plane 30 m (98 ft); one quick white
flash every 1 s. 8 m (26 ft) square concrete tower painted in a black
and white checkered pattern. No photo available, but a Google satellite view shows the tower within an abandoned French fort. The range guides vessels through the pass in the coral reefs south of Obock. Located atop a bluff about 2 km (1.25 mi) north of Obock. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7274; NGA 30956.
- Obock (Passe du Sud) Range Rear
- Date unknown. Reactivated(?); focal plane 40 m (131 ft); one quick white
flash every 1 s. 7 m (23 ft) square concrete tower painted with black and white horizontal bands.No photo available. Google's satellite view suggests that the light may have been raised by placing a post or skeletal tower atop the original tower.
Located in the desert about 700 m (0.4 mi) to the north northwest of the front light. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7274.1; NGA 30960.
- * Obock
- Date unknown. Inactive. Approx. 6 m (20 ft) round cast iron tower painted with horizontal bands in the national colors: blue, white and green. Lantern replaced with a flagstaff. Houssein I. Hersi has a closeup photo (also seen at right), and Google has a satellite view. We need information on the history of this lighthouse. Located on the Oback waterfront west of the pier. Site open, tower closed.
Obock Light, Obock, March 2017
Google Maps photo by Houssein I. Hersi
Gulf of Tadjoura Lighthouses
- Île Moucha (Mashah Island) (2?)
- Date unknown (station established 1899). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); three red flashes every
12 s. 17 m (56 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery painted red with a white horizontal band.
Manoj Gadhvi has a photo and Google has a satellite view. The original light was on a white square tower; it also had a red light. The deep water route to the Port of Djibouti passes north of Moucha and west of Maskali. Located
at the northeastern point of the island in the Gulf of Tadjoura, about 20 km
(12.5 mi) east northeast of Djibouti. Accessible only by boat. Site status
unknown. ARLHS DJI-004; Admiralty D7275; NGA 30968.
- Île Maskali (2?)
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 24 m (79 ft); two white flashes every
6 s. 20 m (66 ft) mast with lantern. Keeper's house
and other station buildings. The light is seen at the far end of the island
in an aerial
photo and at the near end in another, and Google has a satellite view.
Located at the west end of an island about 5 km (3 mi) west of Île
Moucha and 19 km (12 mi) north of Djibouti. Accessible only by boat. Site
status unknown. ARLHS DJI-006; Admiralty D7276; NGA 30972.
Djibouti City Lighthouses
- * Ambouli (Djibouti Entrance Range
- Date unknown (station established 1894). Active; focal plane 20 m (66 ft); quick-flashing white
light intensified on the range line. This light was formerly described by NGA as a "black square tower
between white walls"; the current description is "white chevrons on panel, red top." In any case it seems likely that the light is mounted on the square building seen in Google's satellite view of the listed location. More information is needed! Located about 4 km (2.5
mi) southwest of the Djibouti waterfront in a neighborhood adjoining
the usually-dry Ambouli River. Site apparently open, tower status
unknown. ARLHS DJI-002; Admiralty D7280; NGA 30988.
- * Fort Ayabele (Djibouti Entrance
- 1894. Active; focal plane 32 m (105 ft); quick-flashing
white light intensified on the range line. Approx. 18 m (59 ft) square masonry building with a
lantern centered on the roof. Lighthouse painted white with an orange vertical stripe on the range line; lantern painted green. Jean-François Rodriguez-Nadal's photo is at right, Forand has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite view.
Hardly anything remains of Fort Ayabele except a low wall and this
tall tower, built on one corner of the former fort. The 1894 date comes from a London Gazette announcement published in August of that year. Rachel Pieh Jones has an account of a visit to the lighthouse in December 2013; she found it active and staffed. Located beside
the main highway leading southwestward out of the capital, about 1 km
(0.6 mi) south of the front range and 7 km (4.5 mi) south southwest
of the harbor. Site open, tower closed. ARLHS DJI-003; Admiralty
D7280.1; NGA 30992.
- * Passe Ouest (Jetée du Gouvernement) (2)
- Date unknown. Inactive. 10 m (33 ft) octagonal cylindrical concrete tower, painted white with blue trim. No photo available, but Bing has a satellite view. The original lighthouse here was a skeletal tower carrying a leading light (white, red or green depending on direction, occulting twice every 6 s). The Admiralty announced the removal of this light in 2011. The present tower appears to carry a light, but not the leading light formerly listed. Located in a traffic roundabout in the Rue de Venice, on the Djibouti waterfront. Site open, tower closed. ex-Admiralty D7287; ex-NGA 31028.
- [Port du Heron Range Rear]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 7 m (23 ft); quick-flashing red light. Approx. 7 m (23 ft) triangular skeletal mast standing on a square concrete base. Vincent Morgny has a photo showing both range lights, and Bing has a satellite view. The Port du Heron (seen in the background of Morgny's photo) is a newer port southwest of the traditional Djibouti docks. Located on tidal flats south of the traditional harbor. Visible from the nearby street. Site status unknown. Admiralty D7286.1; NGA 31000.
Fort Ayabele Light, Djibouti, November 2011
photo copyright Jean-François Rodriguez-Nadal
used by permission
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Eritrea | East: Somaliland
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
index | Ratings
Posted June 20, 2005. Checked and revised August 11, 2019. Lighthouses:
10. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North Carolina at