Lighthouses of Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Kitts and Nevis (more formally the Federation of
Saint Christopher and Nevis) is a two-island nation in the Leeward Islands,
at the northeastern corner of the Caribbean Sea. Originally named San
Columbus, the island of Saint Kitts (Saint Christopher) was the site of the first British
settlement in the West Indies in 1623 and also the first French settlement
in 1625. Britain and France struggled to control the islands until
1713, when the Treaty of Utrecht awarded them to Britain. The country
became independent of Britain in 1983.
Tourism is a major industry in Saint Kitts, supported by an international airport and a modern cruise ship terminal. Aids to navigation are maintained by the Saint Christopher Air and
Sea Ports Authority.
Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the Admiralty List of Lights
& Fog Signals. U.S. NGA List numbers are from Publication 110. ARLHS has no listings for Saint Kitts and Nevis.
- General Sources
- Our World Lighthouses
- The web site of Douglas Cameron has photos of Saint Kitts lights taken
in December 2007. For the Saint Kitts page, click on "Caribbean"
and then on "Saint Kitts."
- Online List of Lights - Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Photos from Saint Kitts by Rainer Arndt and from Nevis by Capt. Peter Mosselberger posted by Alexander Trabas.
- World of Lighthouses - Saint Kitts and Nevis
- Photos by various photographers available from Lightphotos.net.
- Navigational chart for Saint Kitss and Nevis.
Saint Kitts National Museum Light, Basseterre, January 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by J. Stephen Conn
- Saint Kitts Lightbeacons
- * Saint Kitts National Museum (Old Treasury
- Date unknown. Inactive. Light mounted on the peak of the roof above the entrance to the
museum, a 2-story stone building. Stephen Conn's photo is above, Indra Kalinovitch
also has a good photo,
Lightphotos.net has a photo and a second photo, and Google has a satellite view. According to Findlay's 1879 list, a small light was established
"on the beach at Basseterre" in 1846. The Old
Treasury Building was built in 1894 and served as a government office
building for more than 100 years. In 2004 it was donated to the St.
Christopher National Trust as a museum and society headquarters. The
building was originally on the waterfront but the coastline in the
area has been extended with fill to construct a cruise ship welcome
center called Port Zante. As a result, the light was relocated to the top of the market building (next entry). Located at Fort Street and Bay Road in downtown
Basseterre, just northwest of the cruise ship pier. Site and building
open. Site manager: St. Christopher National Trust .
- * Basseterre Market
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 6 m (20 ft); quick-flashing red
light. Light mounted above the entrance to the
market, a 1-story building. Trabas has Arndt's photo, and Google has a satellite view. The light was moved here from the museum building (previous entry) sometime in the early 2000s. Located at Westbourne Street and Bay Road in downtown
Basseterre, a short distance west of the cruise ship pier. Site and building
open. Operator: St. Christopher Air and
Sea Ports Authority. Admiralty J5673.21; NGA 14754.
- [Cow Rocks]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 10 m (33 ft); flashing white light. Approx. 10 m (33 ft) skeletal mast. Trabas has Capt. Peter's photo and Bing has an indistinct satellite view. Located on a reef in the channel between St. Christopher and Nevis. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5677; NGA 14758.
- [Nevis South Point]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane about 12 m (39 ft); white light, characteristic unknown. Approx. 9 m (30 ft) post, painted red with a white middle section. Lightphotos.net has Michal Marciniak's photo, and Google has a satellite view. Located at the southern tip of Nevis. Site open, tower closed. Not listed by the Admiralty or by NGA.
- * [Long Point Port]
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 27 m (89 ft); two flashes every 15 s, white or red depending on direction. 24 m (79 ft) steel mast painted red with a white horizontal band. Lightphotos.net has Capt. Peter's photo, and Trabas has the same photo, but the mast is not seen in Google's satellite view. Located at the elbow of the Long Point pier, on the southwestern coast of the island. Site open, tower closed. Admiralty J5678.4; NGA 14761.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: St.-Barthélemy | East: Antigua and Barbuda | Northwest: Saba and Sint Eustatius
Return to the Lighthouse Directory index
| Ratings key
Posted December 26, 2007. Checked and revised January 14, 2019.
Lighthouses: 2. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett and the University of North
Carolina at Chapel Hill.