Lighthouses of the United States: Long Island, New York
Rich in waterways, the U.S. state of New York is equally rich in lighthouses. This page
lists lighthouses of Nassau and Suffolk Counties, which occupy most of Long Island in the southeastern corner of the state. The New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens occupy the western end of Long Island; their lighthouses are described on the New York City and Hudson River page. There are additional pages for Western New York and for Central and Northern New York.
Long Island stretches 118 miles (190 km) east northeast from New York Harbor to Montauk Point, with a maximum north-to-south width of 23 miles (37 km). The north side of the island faces the state of Connecticut across Long Island Sound and the south coast faces the Atlantic Ocean.
The Latimer Reef Light in Long Island Sound is listed
on this page since careful study of nautical charts shows it is in New York and not in Connecticut,
where it is often listed.
Although there is no state preservation society in New York there are many regional
and local preservation groups. Lighthouse preservation efforts are particularly
strong on Long Island and along the Hudson.
Navigational aids in lower New York State are operated by the U.S. Coast Guard First District, but ownership (and sometimes operation) of historic lighthouses has been transferred to local authorities and preservation organizations in many cases.
ARLHS numbers are from the ARLHS
World List of Lights. Admiralty numbers are from volume J of the
Admiralty List of Lights & Fog Signals. USCG numbers are from
Volume I of the USCG Light List.
Old Field Point Light, Brookhaven, Long Island, May 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo
- General Sources
Nassau County Lighthouses
- Note: Nassau County occupies part of eastern Long Island adjoining the New York City boroughs of Brooklyn and Queens. The county's lighthouses are all on its north coast facing Long Island Sound.
- North Hempstead Lighthouses
- * King's Point (Mariner's Memorial Chapel)
- 1961. Active (maintained by U.S. Merchant Marine Academy);
focal plane 102 ft (31 m); white light, 1 s on, 1 s off. The light is shone from the steeple of the Mariner's Memorial Chapel on the campus of the Academy. A 2012 photo is available, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a good satellite view. The light's purpose is to guide cadets returning from
sailing exercises on the Sound. Located on the Academy's campus
in King's Point, Great Neck.
Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: U.S.
Merchant Marine Academy. Admiralty J0924; USCG 1-27165.
- 1877. Active; focal plane 46 ft; green light occulting every 4
s. 46 ft square cylindrical red brick tower with lantern and gallery,
attached to a square red brick keeper's house; 300 mm lens. Lantern
and gallery painted white. Sibling of the Hudson-Athens Light (see
below). A photo is at right, Trabas has a photo, Raudis Lora has a sunset photo, and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse is gravely endangered by lack of maintenance. In 2006 the lighthouse became available for transfer
under the National Historic Lighthouse Preservation Act. In 2008 ownership was awarded to the Town of North Hempstead. In October 2011 the National Park Service found that the town had done nothing to restore the building and gave it six weeks to come up with a sharper financial plan. Further negotiations were not successful and in October 2012 NPS announced that the award of the lighthouse to the town would be rescinded. Instead the town and the Northeast Lighthouse Preservation Group Ltd. began negotiating a restoration plan, although it appeared that as much as $4 million would be required. In July 2014 town officials announced that restoration will be coordinated by the town in partnership with the Great Neck Park District, with the Great Neck Historical Society raising funds for the effort. The Society has a web page for the project. In April 2016 the National Park Service awarded $165,000, to be matched by the town, for construction of a dock at the lighthouse and a staging area onshore for the restoration. In April 2017 the town hired engineers to plan the restoration and earmarked $520,000 in its capital budget for the first phase of the work. In September the town council applied for a $200,000 National Park Service grant to advance restoration efforts. In April 2019 the town awarded a $605,000 contract to build a dock at the lighthouse, the necessary first step toward restoration. Located on a reef in the Sound northwest of Great
Neck and opposite City Island in the Bronx. Visible from the Throgs
Neck Bridge (I-295), from the U.S.
Merchant Marine Academy at King's Point, and from City
Island, Bronx. Accessible only by boat; guided boat tours are sometimes offered (reservations needed). Site and tower closed.
Owner: Town of North Hempstead. Site manager: Stepping Stones Lighthouse Preservation Project . ARLHS USA-811; Admiralty
J0923; USCG 1-21505.
- Sands Point (1)
- 1809 (Noah Mason). Inactive since 1922; charted as a landmark. 46 ft (14
m) octagonal early Federal brownstone
tower. The original lantern was removed in 1922 but replaced later with a
wooden lantern and gallery quite different from the originals. 2-1/2 story
colonial style keeper's house (1868) attached to the tower by a covered passageway.
has a photo showing the large estate on which the lighthouse now stands (also
shown is the modern Sands Point Daybeacon, USCG 1-21470). Jose Gonzalez has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite view. The light was moved to a skeletal tower offshore (see next entry) in 1922. This is the 12th oldest lighthouse in the U.S. but it is certainly
the least known of the early towers. The estate and lighthouse were previously
owned (1927-1940) by the famous newspaper magnate William Randolph Hearst.
In 2014 the owners were restoring the lighthouse but no information on the restoration is available. Located at the end of NY 101 in Sands
Point. Site and tower closed (private property). Owner/site manager: private.
Stepping Stones Light, Great Neck, September 2006
Flickr Creative Commons photo by reivax
- [Sands Point (3?)]
- Date unknown. Daybeacon, unlit. Approx. 12 m (39 ft) square cylindrical skeletal tower carrying diamond-shaped daymarks colored in a green and white checkerboard pattern. Brendan Jenkins has a street view from the beach, Anderson has a small photo, and Google has a satellite view. In 1922 the Sands Point Light was moved from the historic lighthouse (previous entry) to a skeletal tower offshore. It's not known when the light was removed and the tower downgraded to a daybeacon. Located on a reef about 800 ft (245 m) off Sands Point. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed. USCG 1-21470.
- 1850 (Alexander Parris). Active; focal plane 62 ft (19 m); white flash
every 10 s. 60 ft (18 m) old-style round granite waveswept tower with lantern
and gallery, attached to a 2-1/2 story granite keeper's house (1868); solar-powered
APRB-251 aerobeacon (1993). Lighthouse painted white with a dark brown horizontal
band in the middle; lantern also painted white. Fog horn (2 s blast every
15 s). A photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo by Michael Boucher, Craig Morrison has a photo, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, Brendan Jenkins has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. A sibling of Mount Desert Rock Light in Maine, this was the
last of three old-style waveswept towers designed by the famous architect
Alexander Parris (1780-1852). In 2007 the lighthouse was available for
transfer under NHLPA
and in 2008 Historically Significant Structures (HSS), a new preservation group
based in Philadelphia, was selected as the recipient. Ownership was transferred
in April 2009. HSS received a state grant of $600,000 for restoration; during 2012 it replaced the roof of the keeper's house and repainted the tower. As of 2013 the keeper's house is open for overnight stays (rustic conditions, but boat transportation is available). Engineers estimate that $2.2 million would be needed for a complete restoration. Daunted by the scale of this undertaking, HSS announced willingness to sell or lease the lighthouse and in July 2017 they offered it for sale (unrestored) for a whopping $2.5 million. This offer was later cancelled and there has been significant progress in restoring the interior of the structures. Note: the red buoy seen in one of Anderson's photos is the
unlighted Execution Rocks Shoal East Side Buoy, USCG 1-21455. Located on
a rock reef one mile (1.6 km) north of Sands Point, near the center of the
Sound. Accessible only by boat. Site open, tower closed except for guided tours (check the Facebook page for anouncements). Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager: Historically
Significant Structures . ARLHS USA-277; Admiralty J0916; USCG 1-21440.
Execution Rocks Light, Great Neck, May 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by hatchski
Oyster Bay Lighthouse
Spring Harbor (1) (relocated)
- 1890. Inactive since 1965. 35 ft (10.5 m) square pyramidal wood tower with
lantern and gallery, incorporating a very cramped keeper's quarters. The
current owner, known to lighthouse fans as Lady Glen, bought it for $1 in
1965, had it towed it to her home and set it up on the lawn. Lighthouse
has photos in a November 1995 feature
story by Sandra Shanklin, and Google has a satellite view. The Coast Guard has a historic
photo of the light station before relocation. Located in the Plum Point
neighborhood of Centre Island (connected by the Centre Island Road causeway
to the mainland at Bayville). Site and tower closed (gated community);
according to Anderson the tower can be seen from Lloyd Harbor across the
bay. Owner/site manager: private. ARLHS USA-183.
Suffolk County Lighthouses
- Note: Suffolk County, including the eastern 2/3 of Long
more lighthouses than any other U.S. county.
- Huntington Lighthouses
Spring Harbor (2) (original site)
- 1965. Active; focal plane 37 ft (11 m); continuous white light
(red sector covers dangerous shoal). 25 ft (8 m) square cylindrical
skeletal tower mounted on the caisson of the 1890 lighthouse (previous
entry). Trabas has a photo and Google has a satellite view. Located about 100 yards (90 m) off Lloyd Beach in Cold
Spring Harbor. Accessible only by boat; there's a distant view from West Neck
Road. Site and tower closed. Site manager: U.S. Coast Guard. Admiralty
J0880; USCG 1-26870.
- 1857. Inactive since 1912. The lighthouse was replaced by the Huntington Harbor Light in 1912 and destroyed by fire
in 1947; its foundation survives. Huelse has a historic postcard
view of the lighthouse, and Bing has a satellite
view of the station ruins. Located on Lloyd Neck at the northern entrance
to Lloyd Harbor. Site appears to be open but may be accessible only
by boat. Owner/site manager: unknown. ARLHS USA-1305.
- ** Huntington
- 1912 (station established 1857). Active; focal plane 41 ft (12.5
m); white light, 3 s on, 3 s off. 42 ft (13 m) square cylindrical
reinforced concrete tower with lantern and gallery, attached to
a 1-story reinforced concrete keeper's house; 300 mm lens (1967).
The building is unpainted concrete; lantern painted black. Fog horn
(2 s blast every 15 s). Francesca Giannarttasio's photo is at right,
Anderson has a good page
for the lighthouse, Trabas has a good photo, Steven Sager has a photo, Marinas.com has good aerial
photos, Google has a very distant street view from the end of Southdown Road in Lloyd Harbor, and Google has a satellite view. This little lighthouse is unique in its design. Its interior was gutted by fire in 1947 but local preservationists
have been working to restore the lighthouse since 1985. The exterior
has been restored, the Coast Guard has built a new steel dock,
and the interior restoration is nearly complete. In 2010 the lighthouse became eligible for transfer under NHLPA and in December 2011 it was announced that the lighthouse would be transferred to the preservation society. In March 2012 the society launched a campaign for $800,000 to place boulders to protect the lighthouse. The lighthouse was closed in 2017 for this work to be carried out. The lighthouse
is actually located in the entrance to Lloyd Harbor, although
it also marks the entrance to the nearby Huntington Harbor. Accessible
only by boat. Site generally closed (no private docking); site
and tower will reopen in July 2018 for guided tours on selected Sundays late June through September. Owner/site manager: Huntington Lighthouse
Preservation Society . ARLHS USA-445; Admiralty J0878; USCG 1-26530.
- Eaton's Neck
- 1799 (John McComb). Active; focal plane 144 ft (44 m); continuous white
light. 73 ft (22 m) octagonal fieldstone tower with lantern and gallery, attached
to 1-story utility building. A 3rd order Fresnel lens (1856) is in use; it
is the only active Fresnel lens on Long Island. Lighthouse painted white,
lantern roof red. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). The original keeper's houses
were demolished in 1969 and replaced by modern Coast Guard buildings. This is an active Coast Guard station. Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, Lighthouse
Digest has an article
on life at the light station and also a more recent article,
Marinas.com has fine aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite view. This is a treasure: one of only six 18th century lighthouses in
the U.S. Some renovations were made in 1999; windows and cornices were repaired
and the masonry was patched. Unfortunately, the station grounds have been
closed to the public since early 2000. Located at the end of Lighthouse Road
in Asharoken. Site and tower closed; group tours
can be arranged. Owner/site manager: U.S. Coast Guard Station Eaton's Neck. ARLHS USA-264; Admiralty
J0872; USCG 1-21325.
Huntington Harbor Light, Huntington, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Francesca Giannattasio
- Stratford Shoal (Middle Ground)
- 1877. Active; focal plane 60 ft (18 m); white flash every 5 s.
35 ft (10.5 m) octagonal cylindrical granite tower with lantern
and gallery, attached to the front of a 1-1/2 story granite Gothic
Revival keeper's house, mounted on granite caisson; solar-powered
VRB-25 lens. Fog horn (2 s blast every 15 s). Building trim and
lantern painted white. Anderson's page has great photos,
Trabas has Michael Boucher's closeup photo, and D'Entremont has a fine photo. Sibling of Race Rock Light, New York. Nick Korstad, the owner of the Borden Flats Lighthouse at Fall River, Massachusetts, organized the Korstad Marine Preservation Society and successfully applied for ownership. However the sale has not closed due to bottom lands issues and some uncertainty as to whether the lighthouse is actually in Connecticut (the location of the state line is somewhat uncertain and there has been some dispute as to whether this lighthouse is in Connecticut or New York; most maps place it in Connecticut). Located in the middle
of Long Island Sound off Bridgeport Harbor. There's a distant view
from the Bridgeport-Port Jefferson, New York, ferry.
Accessible only by boat. Site and tower closed. Owner/site manager:
U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1010; Admiralty J0812; USCG 1-21260.
- * Old
Field Point (2)
- 1868 (station established 1825). Reactivated (inactive 1933-1991);
focal plane 74 ft (22.5 m); flash every 12 s, alternating red and
green. 35 ft (10.5 m) wood octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern
and gallery, mounted on 2-1/2 story granite keeper's house; FA-251
optic. Light tower and lantern painted black; granite unpainted.
The original 1-story stone keeper's
house (1824) is also preserved and serves as a village meeting
hall. Sibling of Block Island North Light RI. A photo is
at the top of this page, Trabas has an excellent photo, Bash has a photo, Marinas.com
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The lighthouse is the residence of the village constable.
Close to the edge of the bluff, it may become endangered by erosion
in the future. The light was moved to a skeletal tower in 1933 and returned to the lighthouse in 1991; the skeletal tower was removed. Located near the end of Old Field Road in Old
Field, Brookhaven township. Site open (no parking
near the site), tower closed. Visible from the Port Jefferson-Bridgeport, Connecticut, ferry.
Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager: Village
of Old Field. ARLHS USA-563; Admiralty J0826; USCG 1-21275.
Southold (North Fork) Lighthouses
- Note: At its eastern end, Long Island divides into two narrow peninsulas, the North Fork and the South Fork. The Town of Southold includes most of the 30 mi (50 km) long North Fork.
- ** Horton
- 1857 (William Sinclair). Reactivated (inactive 1933-1990); focal
plane 103 ft (31 m); green flash every 10 s. 58 ft (18 m) square
cylindrical stucco-clad brick and granite tower with lantern and
gallery, attached to one end of a 2-story stucco-clad brick keeper's
house; VRB-25 lens. Entire building painted white; the lantern roof
is unpainted green copper. Erik Anestad's photo is at right, Trabas has a closeup photo, Doug Kerr has a photo, Marinas.com
photos, Bob McElroy has a street view, and Google has a satellite view. The building was expanded about 1887, adding the 2-story
section between the tower and the original keeper's house. The light was moved to a skeletal tower in 1933 and returned to the lighthouse in 1990; the skeletal tower was removed. The abandoned lighthouse was in greatly deteriorated condition by the 1960s and there were proposals to demolish it. Fortunately the Southold Historical Society and Southold Park District intervened to restore the building, opening it as a museum in 1977. There
was also a major renovation in 1990, when the tower was restored, reopened
and relit. The lighthouse is now a nautical museum; an FA-251
optic (used 1990-1999) and a 4th order Fresnel
lens of uncertain origin are on display. The museum was
renovated in the winter of 2005-06 prior to celebrating its 150th anniversary
in 2007. In 2019 a restored outbuilding opened as the Whale House, a museum for whale artifacts. The lighthouse is the centerpiece of an 8 acre (3.5
ha) town park. Located atop a cliff at the end of Lighthouse
Road in Southold. Site open daily, but the parking lot is only open Thursday through Sunday from Memorial Day (late May) through Columbus Day (mid October); museum and tower open (small fee) 11:30 am through 4 pm Saturdays and Sundays from Memorial Day (late May) through Columbus Day (mid October). Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner: Southold
Park District. Site manager: Southold Historical Society (Horton
Point Lighthouse and Nautical Museum). ARLHS USA-387; Admiralty
J0764; USCG 1-21150.
Horton Point Light, Southold, August 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by
- Orient Point
- 1899. Reactivated (inactive 1970-1973); focal plane 64 ft (19.5 m); white
flash every 5 s. 46 ft (16 m) round cast iron sparkplug tower with lantern and double gallery, incorporating 3-story round keeper's
house; 190 mm lens (1988). Upper half of the lighthouse, including the lantern,
painted black, lower half white. Fog horn (two 2 s blasts every 30 s). The
tower has a long-standing lean of about 5°. Carol Vinzant's photo is
at right, Trabas has a photo, Philip Kohler has a 2017 photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite view. Saved from demolition in 1970 by public protests, the lighthouse
was renovated by the Coast Guard in 2000. In 2011 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA; when no organizations qualified the lighthouse was placed at auction in September 2012 and sold for $120,000. However, the buyer failed to close on the deal and in June 2013 the lighthouse was again on the auction block; this time it sold for $252,000 to a company headed by artist Randy Polumbo. Accessible only by boat. Visible from lighthouse cruises (available April-November), from the Orient
Point-New London, Connecticut, ferry,
or from a 1/2 mile (800 m) hiking trail that rounds the point from Orient
Point County Park, at the end of NY 25. Site and tower closed. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site
manager: private. ARLHS USA-633; Admiralty J0718; USCG 1-21095.
Island (Plum Gut) (2)
- 1870 (station established 1827). Inactive since 1978. 55 ft (17
m) square cylindrical wood tower with lantern and gallery, rising
from the front of 2-story granite keeper's quarters. A 4th order Fresnel
lens (1897) from the lighthouse is displayed at the East
End Seaport Museum in Greenport. The brick oil house
carried a light on a skeletal tower from 1978 to 1992, but the
oil house was lost to beach erosion in 1997. The active light structure (focal plane 50 ft (15 m); white flash every 2.5 s)
is a 15 ft (4.5 m) square skeletal tower located near the lighthouse.
John RoeMechia has a photo, Marinas.com has aerial
and Google has a satellite view. A sibling of Block Island North Light in Rhode
the lighthouse is endangered by beach erosion and neglect and was for several years
on the Lighthouse Digest Doomsday List. A restoration effort was organized by the Long
Island Chapter of the U.S. Lighthouse Society. Lighthouse Digest
this effort in January 2000 and reported on the light station's condition
in July. To stabilize the bluff the Corps of Engineers in 2004 installed 20,000
tons of stone removed from another Long Island location. The East End Lighthouses group worked on restoration
plans; the first steps would be to restore the lantern and bring
electric power to the lighthouse.
Lighthouse Digest reported
on these efforts in October 2004. Management of the island was transferred
from the Dept. of Agriculture to the Dept. of Homeland Security
in June 2003. In January 2012 DHS requested $1.5 million to repair the exterior of the lighthouse and remove hazardous materials from the site; it appears that little or nothing was done. In July 2018 the town government asked the federal government to provide funding for emergency repairs to the deteriorating light tower and lantern. The animal disease center on the island is scheduled to close by 2021, and thereafter the island may be sold; the Preserve Plum Island Coalition is working to prevent this sale. Located at the west end of Plum Island opposite Orient
Point. Visible from the Orient Point-New London, Connecticut, ferry.
Site and tower closed (high security area). Owner: U.S. Department
of Homeland Security. Site manager: Plum
Island Animal Disease Center. ARLHS USA-606; Admiralty J0722;
Orient Point Light, Southold, June 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo
by Carol Vinzant
- Little Gull
- 1869 (station established 1804). Active; focal plane 91 ft (28 m); 2 white
flashes every 15 s. 81 ft (25 m) round granite tower with lantern and gallery;
aerobeacon. Fog horn (2 s blast every 15 s). Watch room painted white, lantern
roof red; the granite tower is unpainted. The original 2nd
order Fresnel lens is displayed at the East
End Seaport Maritime Museum in Greenport. The keeper's house was demolished
in 1978. D'Entremont's photo is at right, Philip Kohler has a 2017 photo, Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, and Google has a good satellite view. In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA; when no organizations qualified the lighthouse was placed at auction in September 2012 and sold for $381,000 -- a high price, considering that there is no house included.
The new owner, Connecticut businessman Fred Plumb, stated in late 2015 that he hoped to be able to open the lighthouse to the public in 2016, but this did not happen. Located on Little Gull Island off the east point of Plum Island. Accessible
only by boat. Site and tower closed. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager: private.
ARLHS USA-440; Admiralty J0726; USCG 1-19830.
- Race Rock
- 1879 (Francis H. Smith and Thomas A. Scott). Active; focal plane 67 ft (20.5
m); red flash every 10 s. 45 ft (14 m) octagonal cylindrical granite tower
with lantern and gallery, rising from one side of a 1-1/2 story granite Gothic
revival keeper's house; all mounted on a granite caisson and protected by
rip rap; rotating DCB-24 aerobeacon (1979). Lantern painted white, granite
unpainted. Fog horn (two 2 s blasts every 30 s). D'Entremont's photo is at the top of this page, Dennis Caruana has a 2014 photo, Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse is on a difficult and dangerous site; construction
took 6 years. In 2005 the lighthouse was listed on the National Register of
Historic Places. In 2009 the lighthouse became available for transfer under NHLPA, and in June 2013 ownership was transferred to the New London (Connecticut) Maritime Society. The Society has a web page for the lighthouse. Located on
a reef 3/4 mile (1.2 km) west southwest of Race Point, the western tip of
Fisher's Island. Accessible only by boat; dangerous waters. Site and tower
closed. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager: New
London Maritime Society. ARLHS USA-681; Admiralty J0686;
Little Gull Island Light, Long Island Sound, September 2007
Flickr photo copyright Jeremy D'Entremont; used by permission
- North Dumpling
- 1871 (station established 1849). Reactivated (inactive 1959-1980); focal
plane 60 ft (18 m); continuous white light (displays red to the southeast).
31 ft (10 m) octagonal shingled wooden tower with lantern and gallery, attached
to 2-story red brick (originally wooden) residence; 300 mm lens (1980).
The original lantern has been replaced with a modern lantern room, painted
white with a shingled roof. Fog horn (3 s blast every 30 s). Robert English
has a good 2006 closeup,
Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, D'Entremont has a 2007 photo, Marinas.com has aerial
and Google has a satellite view. The house was extensively modified from the original in 1980
and its brick facade is modern. The light, which had been moved to a skeletal
tower in 1959, was returned to the original tower during the 1980 renovation.
Originally a sibling of the Colchester Reef Light in Vermont (Albert Dow,
designer). The Coast Guard has a photo
showing the light's original appearance. The current owner is Dean Kamen,
the inventor of the Segway; he installed a wind turbine to help power the
house and light. Located on a small island between Fisher's Island, New
York, and Groton Long Point, Connecticut. Accessible only by boat. Visible
from Fisher's Island, which is accessible by ferry
from New London, Connecticut. Site and tower closed. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager:
private. ARLHS USA-552; Admiralty J0680; USCG 1-20145.
- 1884. Active; focal plane 55 ft (17 m); white flash every 6 s.
49 ft (15 m) round cast iron sparkplug
tower (brick lined) with lantern and double gallery, incorporating
3-story keeper's house and mounted on a concrete caisson; 300 mm
lens (1983). Fog bell (2 strokes every 15 s). Tower painted white
with a single horizontal brown band; lantern is also white. Anderson
has a fine page
with excellent photos, Robert English has a 2006 photo,
Dan Dionne has a 2010 photo, Trabas has a distant view,
Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite
view. This lighthouse is a sibling of the Stamford Harbor
Light in Connecticut. In 2008 the lighthouse became available
for transfer under NHLPA;
when no groups qualified for ownership the lighthouse was sold
to an unknown private buyer in August 2010 for $225,000. The owner is believed to be Scott Phillips, the owner of a financial services company. Located
in Fishers Island Sound southwest of Stonington, Connecticut,
near the point where the borders of New York, Connecticut, and
Rhode Island converge. Accessible only by boat; there are distant
views from the Connecticut shore. Site and tower closed. Owner/site
manager: private; operator: U.S. Coast Guard. ARLHS USA-1049;
Admiralty J0671; USCG 1-20085.
- Long Beach Bar ("Bug Light") (2)
- 1990 reconstruction
of 1871 lighthouse (Albert Dow, designer). Reactivated (inactive
1945-1990); focal plane 63 ft (19 m); white flash every 4 s. 65
ft (20 m) wooden octagonal cylindrical tower with lantern and
gallery, rising from a 2-story square wood keeper's house, all
mounted on a concrete foundation (1926) but supported in part
by the original (1871) screwpile foundation. 250 mm lens. Lighthouse
painted white, including the roof and lantern; lantern roof is
black. A photo is at right, Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, and Google has a satellite view. Sibling of the Colchester Reef Light in Vermont.
The original lighthouse was burned by arsonists in 1963. The lighthouse
was rebuilt by the East End Seaport Museum,
which raised $140,000 for the purpose. For several years it was
the subject of controversy:
a group called East End Lighthouses,
founded by a former director of the Museum, contended with
the Museum for management rights. In 2005 the Museum and East End
Lighthouses reached an agreement; the Museum remained responsible
for routine maintenance and repairs and maintains a fund for that
work, and East End Lighthouses would have the responsibility for
all major repairs and improvements. Since then the two organizations have combined, bringing the controversy to an end. The lighthouse may
by deterioration of the original screwpilings. Located in the entrance
to Orient Harbor off Long Beach Point. Accessible only by boat;
visible from Orient Beach State Park. Site and tower closed except for occasional tours offered by the museum. Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site
East End Seaport Museum
and Marine Foundation. ARLHS USA-448; Admiralty J0701.5; USCG
Long Beach Bar Light, Orient Harbor, July 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Photo GEM
East Hampton (South Fork) Lighthouses
- Note: At its eastern end, Long Island divides into two narrow peninsulas, the North Fork and the South Fork. The Town of East Hampton includes the eastern end of the South Fork. The base of the peninsula is occupied by the town of Southampton. Widely known as The Hamptons, the two towns are a very popular summer resort area.
- * Cedar
- 1868 (station established 1839). Inactive since 1934. 40 ft (12 m) square
cylindrical granite tower with lantern and gallery, attached to one corner
of a 2-1/2 story granite keeper's house. Active light (focal plane 57 ft
(17 m); green flash every 4 s) on a square cylindrical steel skeletal
tower. Brick oil house (1902). The interior of the lighthouse was gutted by
fire in 1974. Endangered by neglect and in very poor condition, the lighthouse is on the Lighthouse
Digest Doomsday List. A photo is at right, Capt. Gerry Hare has a 2017 photo, and Google has a satellite view. In the late 1990s a Cedar
Island Lighthouse Committee formed to work for preservation and restoration,
but an August 2000 Lighthouse Digest story reported the building remained in very bad condition. In March 2002 the
Long Island Chapter and Suffolk County Parks announced a joint effort to restore the lighthouse, and in August Lighthouse Digest carried a full report on the site. In spring 2003 some preliminary work was beginning in the lighthouse.
In early 2004 the oil house was restored, and later that year an architectural
firm was studying the lighthouse. The engineering report was submitted in
early 2006 but progress stalled. In June 2008 the Long Island
Chapter announced a new fund raising effort for the lighthouse. In 2010
the Cedar Island Restoration
Project was announced. An engineer estimated that about $1 million was
needed just for exterior repairs. In November 2013 the lantern was removed and transported to Sag Harbor for restoration. In June 2014 Suffolk County extended the license of the preservation committee and it was announced that a B&B was planned for the lighthouse once it is restored. In November 2016 the Suffolk County Legislature agreed to spend up to $500,000 to put a new roof on the building and secure the exterior. In August 2017 a $165,000 contract to plan the restoration was awarded to the Lee H. Skolnick design and engineering form. In 2019 the county appropriated $500,000 to begin the exterior restoration and announced plans to spend $1 million in each of 2020 and 2021. Located on Cedar Point (the former Cedar Island has been joined
to the mainland since 1938) northeast of Sag Harbor. Accessible by a hike
of about 1.5 miles (2.5 km) each way. Site open, tower closed. Owner/site manager: Suffolk County (Cedar Point County Park). ARLHS USA-147. Active light: Admiralty J0702; USCG 1-28245.
Cedar Island Light, Sag Harbor, September 2009
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Boats-n-Cars
- ** Montauk
- 1928. Inactive since 2011. 60 ft (18 m) octagonal brick tower,
painted white, with white-shingled watch room, octagonal lantern,
and two galleries, attached to a large yacht club complex. A 2010
available, Trabas has a photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is one of the oldest privately built and maintained lighthouses
in the U.S. It was built by Carl Fisher as part of a resort
development that also included dredging a canal to connect Lake
Montauk with Block Island Sound, creating a large protected anchorage.
The tower houses meeting rooms. The light never had much navigational value and it was deactivated during summer 2011, but the tower continues to be charted as a daybeacon. Located on Star Island
in Lake Montauk. Accessible via the Star Island Road causeway off
West Lake Drive in Montauk. Site and tower open. Owner/site manager: Montauk
Yacht Club. ARLHS USA-1308; ex-Admiralty J0697; ex-USCG 1-19985.
- **** Montauk
- 1797 (John McComb). Active; focal plane 168 ft (51 m); white flash
every 5 s. 110 ft (33.5 m) octagonal sandstone tower with lantern
and gallery; VRB-25 aerobeacon (2001). Tower painted white with
a broad brown band, lantern black. Fog horn (2 s blast every 15
s). The keeper's house (1860) is used as a visitor center and museum;
displays include the 3-1/2 order Fresnel lens used 1904-1987, also
two 4th order Fresnel lenses and a 5th order lens, all of uncertain
origin. The second floor includes an apartment for a resident keeper. An older 2-story brick keeper's house (1838) was converted
to a barn and later to a garage. The oil house, fog signal building
(1897), and other structures are also preserved. A photo appears
at right, the Long Island Genealogy Home Page has a history
of the light station, Anderson has a good page
for the lighthouse, Trabas has a closeup photo, Marinas.com has aerial
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. This is a historic and well-loved lighthouse, the oldest
in New York and fifth oldest in the United States. There was
a major restoration
of the tower in 1998-99. A modern visitor center was completed in
2005 and there are plans to restore the exterior of the 1838 keeper's
quarters. The light station is endangered by beach erosion, previously held at bay by a 400 ft (120 m) stone
revetment built in 1992. In 2006 the Army Corps of Engineers received
$12 million in funding to build a much longer and stronger barrier.
These plans had to be redone after Hurricane Sandy (2012) and the project is now scheduled for 2019. In March 2012 the light station was designated a National Historic Landmark. In November 2014 an effort was launched to raise $200,000 to renovate the fog signal building as a surf museum; the museum opened in August 2015 with a broader mission as the Oceans Institute. Located on Turtle Hill at the tip of Montauk Point (end of NY 27),
the easternmost tip of Long Island. Site open; museum and tower
open daily May 1 through mid October and on weekends and holidays during spring and fall.
Operator: U.S. Coast Guard. Owner/site manager: Montauk Historical Society . ARLHS USA-512; Admiralty J0690; USCG 1-0660.
Montauk Point Light, East Hampton, June 2012
Flickr Creative Commons photo by AudreyH
- * Shinnecock
(Ponquogue, Great West Bay) (4)
- Date unknown (station established 1858). Active; focal plane 75 ft (23 m);
2 white flashes every 15 s. 75 ft (23 m) square cylindrical skeletal tower with gallery. Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, and Google has a street view and a satellite view. The original lighthouse, a 160 ft (41 m) brick tower similar to the Cape
May lighthouse in New Jersey, was located at the Coast Guard station on the mainland side of Shinnecock Bay. Deactivated in 1931, it was toppled by the Coast Guard
in 1948: a tragic loss. The oil house survives. Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Lighthouse Digest has an article
on the lighthouse and its destruction. The light was moved to a communications tower next to the Coast Guard station. Located on Ponquogue Point on the mainland, near the Ponquogue Bridge
and about a mile northwest of Shinnecock Inlet. Site open. Owner/site manager:
U.S. Coast Guard Station Shinnecock. ARLHS USA-755; Admiralty J0998; USCG 1-0675.
- Patchogue River
- Date unknown. Active; focal plane 18 ft (5.5 m); red flash every 5 s. 16 ft (5 m) round cylindrical unpainted concrete tower. Alida Thorpe has a photo and Bing has a distant satellite view. Located on a rough stone jetty on the east of the entrance to the Patchogue River. Accessible only by boat (not a walkable pier) but easy to see from nearby. Site open, tower closed. USCG 1-29765.
- Patchogue Breakwater (2)
- 2019. Active (privately maintained; focal plane about 30 ft (9 m); green flash every 4 s. Approx. 7.5 m (25 ft) hexagonal metal tower painted white; lantern painted black. A photo is available but the lighthouse is too new to appear in Google's satellite view. The original light on a short skeletal tower is seen in Alida Thorpe's 2012 photo. This lighthouse was built by the Town of Brookhaven and the Village of Patchogue in connection with a reconstruction of the jetty (east breakwater) at Patchogue. Located at the end of the jetty on Great South Bay. Accessible only by boat (not a walkable pier) but easy to see from nearby. Site open, tower closed. USCG 1-29760.
- **** Fire
- 1858 (station established 1826). Reactivated (inactive 1974-1986, now
maintained by the park service); focal plane 180 ft (55 m); white flash every 7.5 s, day and
night. 168 ft (51 m) round tapering cement-clad brick tower with lantern
and gallery; rotating DCB-224 aerobeacon (1986). Tower painted with four
bands, alternating black and white; lantern black. The original 1st order
Fresnel lens (1858-1939), previously on display at the Franklin Institute
in Philadelphia, is now displayed in a special building on site. 2-story
stone keeper's quarters. A 4th order Fresnel lens of uncertain origin is
displayed at the visitor center. Foundations of the 1826 lighthouse (a 74
ft (22.5 m) stone octagonal) remain visible. Stone from that tower was used
to build the terrace of the 1858 lighthouse. A photo is at
right, Anderson has a good page,
the National Park Service also has a page for the lighthouse, Trabas has Michael Boucher's photo, Marinas.com
photos, Huelse has a historic postcard
view, and Bing has a satellite view. This is the tallest New York lighthouse. Plans to demolish the
lighthouse in 1981 led to the start of preservation efforts. The Fire
Island Lighthouse Preservation Society has worked for preservation
and restoration of the lighthouse since 1982; the society leased the
light station from the Coast Guard in 1996. In 2000
Congress appropriated $350,000 for structural repairs to the tower and
improved exhibits. In 2001 the Coast Guard
agreed to return the 1st order Fresnel lens for display, and in early
2007 the crated lens arrived. FILPS developed a plan to exhibit
it in a reconstructed powerhouse building, and in 2011 the restoration
and reassembly of the lens was completed; the new building housing the lens was dedicated in July. An August 2011 photo of the lens is available. In 2005 the Coast Guard announced
plans to replace the DCB-224 with a weaker solar-powered strobe light.
FILPS protested this plan, and in February 2006 the Society signed an
agreement to take over ownership and maintenace of the aerobeacons and
their backup generators. Following Hurricane Sandy in October 2012 the light station was closed for almost a year. During the closure the exterior was restored and the concrete coating was replaced. In 2014 a legal fight arose over plans to rebuild dunes protecting the lighthouse, with lighthouse preservationists supporting the project and environmentalists opposed. In 2017 the park service repaired damage to the lighthouse terrace caused by Hurricane Sandy in 2012. Located at the west end of the Fire Island National
Seashore in Saltaire. Accessible year-round by a walk of about one mile
(1.6 km) from the Field 5 parking area at Robert Moses State Park; also accessible in season by passenger
ferry from Bay Shore to Saltaire. Site open; visitor center and
museum open daily (shorter hours in the winter); tower open
to guided tours daily provided volunteer guides are available. Owner/operator:
U.S. National Park Service. Site manager: Fire
Island National Seashore.
ARLHS USA-286; Admiralty J1016; USCG 1-0695.
Fire Island Light, Saltaire, 4 July 2010
Flickr Creative Commons photo by Neil R.
Information available on lost lighthouses:
Point Island (1855-1894), entrance to Gardiner's Bay. The lighthouse, with a tower attached to a keeper's house, was abandoned after being damaged by a storm in 1894. There is no longer a beacon of any kind on the island. ARLHS USA-1046.
Jefferson Harbor Breakwater (1882-1950s), entrance to the harbor from
Long Island Sound. There is a small beacon (Admiralty J0818, USCG 1-26135) today near the former location of the lighthouse. ARLHS USA-1051.
Notable faux lighthouses:
Adjoining pages: North: Connecticut | West: New York City and Hudson River
Return to the Lighthouse Directory
Checked and revised May 8, 2019. Lighthouses: 25. Site copyright 2019 Russ Rowlett
and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.